ISNUMERIC

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item ISNUMERIC

• Mmm, why have "ISNUMERIC" as the heading for this question ? This question is not really about the ISNUMERIC function. How about getting the heading to match what the question is really about instead of deliberately trying to mislead ?

This question is about the default length used for the VARCHAR data type. I am expecting a variation on this question to pop up soon where the answer is VARCHAR (30).

• happycat59 (3/5/2013)

Mmm, why have "ISNUMERIC" as the heading for this question ? This question is not really about the ISNUMERIC function. How about getting the heading to match what the question is really about instead of deliberately trying to mislead ?

This question is about the default length used for the VARCHAR data type. I am expecting a variation on this question to pop up soon where the answer is VARCHAR (30).

+1 πŸ™‚

Well this question is about ISNUMERIC and VARCHAR both. I realized the VARCHAR gotcha and marked the correct answer.

~ Lokesh Vij

Guidelines for quicker answers on T-SQL question[/url]
    Guidelines for answers on Performance questions

Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLPathy.com[/url]

Follow me @Twitter

• Lokesh Vij (3/5/2013)

happycat59 (3/5/2013)

Mmm, why have "ISNUMERIC" as the heading for this question ? This question is not really about the ISNUMERIC function. How about getting the heading to match what the question is really about instead of deliberately trying to mislead ?

+1 πŸ™‚

Well this question is about ISNUMERIC and VARCHAR both. I realized the VARCHAR gotcha and marked the correct answer.

well, in a way it is true .. varchar does store only "3"; the first character ..

and ISNumeric does evaluate the string "3" as numeric .. I look at heading to get extra information , but, here straightforward question ..

nice and simple ...

~ demonfox

• demonfox (3/5/2013)

Lokesh Vij (3/5/2013)

happycat59 (3/5/2013)

+1 πŸ™‚

well, in a way it is true .. varchar does store only "3"; the first character ..

and ISNumeric does evaluate the string "3" as numeric .. I look at heading to get extra information , but, here straightforward question ..

nice and simple ...

+1

Good start of day. πŸ™‚

Thanks
    Vinay Kumar
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Keep Learning - Keep Growing !!!

• good basic question to start the day....

In first line I saw that its only varchar to length would be 1 only and 3 is present in text so quickly mark the answer as IS Numeric πŸ˜›

• happycat59 (3/5/2013)

a litle modification in the question and a missing reference .. and it would go for the header πŸ˜€

DECLARE @vchrIsNumeric CHAR(2)

SET @vchrIsNumeric='3 NAME'

IF ISNUMERIC(@vchrIsNumeric)=1

SELECT 'Is Numeric'

ELSE

SELECT 'Is not Numeric'

output would be the same ..(might put a dot for a second :-P)

and here is the missing reference on IS_Numeric :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms186272.aspx

Edit :

yes.. It might :hehe:

as mentioned in msdn :

When n is not specified in a data definition or variable declaration statement, the default length is 1. When n is not specified when using the CAST and CONVERT functions, the default length is 30.

~ demonfox

• well....i did it again......

knowing the declaration without the size will default to 1 and at the time of cast/convert it defaults to 30.... and... me being dumbest of all the time i mentally switched the answers and considered 30 as the default to the variable with no size... thinking "is not numeric" is a straight and sweet deal...

(one second later) after clicking the submit the button

#facepalm

(sorry) good question by the way; thank you for posting, remembrance of the defaults is another key point in the level of basic. thank you.

ww; Raghu
    --
    The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.

• I read the question very carelessly. I didn't notice that variable declared without specifying length.

--
    Dineshbabu
    Desire to learn new things..

• Don't really pay attention to the heading as it can often be misleading and just focus entirely on the detail of the question.

I like these "gotcha" bug style questions, little reminders of what's waiting in SQL to catch the unwary LOL!

Good nice question with a quick answer. Great job.

Thanks πŸ˜€

• haha. this not really about IsNumeric(). these type of questions are fun to solve. πŸ˜€

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hai Ton
    My Db4Breakfast blog.

• Nice question to check the attentiveness

as well as to expalin the default behaviour of Varchar data type 😎

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Nice question, but I don't much like the heading. Fortunately I've learnt not to pay much attention to QotD headings.

Tom

• L' Eomot InversΓ© (3/6/2013)

Nice question, but I don't much like the heading. Fortunately I've learnt not to pay much attention to QotD headings.

I never look at the headings either, so this didn't bother me.

And while I understand the objections raised, I also think that this adds a nice touch of realism. If a junior on my team made this mistake and came to me after not beiing able to figure it out, they would probably also tell me that they have a problem with ISNUMERIC.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply