Is travelling in London made intensionally difficult?

• Usually travelling in London isn't much of a problem (except when there are tube and/or bus strikes), it's travelling into and out of London that is hard. For eight years I was staying in Belgravia four nights most weeks and working in Saville Row (3 years), Holborn (3 years) and Limehouse (2 years) and had very few problems. OK, when there is any snow London usually screws up, because the people planning road clearance there haven't a clue and the necessary equipment isn't available (compare northern Scotland, where there is far more snow but the roads are always clear because the people responsible know their job and the proper equipment is available because the local government has bought it and maintains it) but that applies pretty well everyehere in England, not just in London.

Commute distances: well, my commuting distance homne to office has varied over the years between a half mile and 425 miles (I took that one weekly, of course - the company was paying for l4 nights a week in a hotel plus flights - and it only lasted 4 months). And of course from time to time the office has been at home (very short commute:-P). The most I've ever done on a daily basis, five days a week, is 50 miles each way (and I found somewhere closer to the office pretty quickly then), and the most I've done daily, 5 days a week for a long period is about 30 miles each way (I did that for 10 years). I don't mind doing a four hundred mile round trip drive and working 8 hours in between provided I don't have to do it more than once or twice a week, but I can't understand how people can manage over a hundred miles each way 5 days a week for years on end, it seems just plain crazy.

Tom

Viewing post 31 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply