Is travelling in London made intensionally difficult?

• Lynn Pettis (2/3/2010)

Been there done that. Several employers ago, commute was 90 miles one-way, several times during the winter my boss asked what I was doing at work during heavy snow storms between Colorado Springs and Denver. I made it in, but people in the Denver area were calling in that they couldn't.

Which in my opinion should make you a "rock-star" in the boss's eyes. You're a "rock-star" to me for doing 90 mile one-way commutes, regardless of conditions. I can't even fathom that! They'd have to pay me a heckuva lot of money to put myself through that on a daily basis.

Also, at the risk of being outcast, I have some friends who live in Denver and work in Aspen (one is a part-time DBA/part-time snowboard instructor - cool gig if you ask me). They pretty much agree that a lot of the "Denverites" are sissies when it comes to the winter weather.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• tosscrosby-60625 (2/3/2010)

Lynn Pettis (2/3/2010)

Been there done that. Several employers ago, commute was 90 miles one-way, several times during the winter my boss asked what I was doing at work during heavy snow storms between Colorado Springs and Denver. I made it in, but people in the Denver area were calling in that they couldn't.

Which in my opinion should make you a "rock-star" in the boss's eyes. You're a "rock-star" to me for doing 90 mile one-way commutes, regardless of conditions. I can't even fathom that! They'd have to pay me a heckuva lot of money to put myself through that on a daily basis.

Also, at the risk of being outcast, I have some friends who live in Denver and work in Aspen (one is a part-time DBA/part-time snowboard instructor - cool gig if you ask me). They pretty much agree that a lot of the "Denverites" are sissies when it comes to the winter weather.

The 90 mile one way commute was for 3.5 years, followed by over 11.25 years of commuting 68 miles one way. During the break, I was still commuting from Colorado Springs to Denver looking for work. Wasn't finding much closer to home at the time.

And no, didn't make a heckuva lot of money doing it.

• Just so im gettin this right, you drove 180 miles a day!? What was the job?

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

• Schadenfreude-Mei (2/3/2010)

Just so im gettin this right, you drove 180 miles a day!? What was the job?

Officially, sys admin for a Data General MV4000 system that a print/fulfillment company used. Also pulled cables, wrote reports for internal and external clients. After 4 months unemployment, I was just glad to have a job.

• Lynn Pettis (2/3/2010)

Schadenfreude-Mei (2/3/2010)

Officially, sys admin for a Data General MV4000 system that a print/fulfillment company used. Also pulled cables, wrote reports for internal and external clients. After 4 months unemployment, I was just glad to have a job.

And did you drive 180mi 5 days a week?

I went for an interview once for a job 40 miles away; on the way back i crashed the car and though 'no f*cking way!'.

• I used to drive 110 miles each way for a job. Did that for about 6 months.

• I find it quite annoying enough to have to do a 13-mile trip into work, although the traffic means it can often take me an hour to cover that distance!

• Steve Jones - Editor (2/3/2010)

I used to drive 110 miles each way for a job. Did that for about 6 months.

Steve, dude!

No job is worth that! Unless your getting multiples of 100k's or are the director of Skunk Works. Did you drive to?

Ok so who travels the furthest to work? And how.

I do about 26 miles each way but its by train so can be a short as 45 minutes.

Lynn Pettis (2/3/2010)

Schadenfreude-Mei (2/3/2010)

And did you drive 180mi 5 days a week?

I went for an interview once for a job 40 miles away; on the way back i crashed the car and though 'no f*cking way!'.

Yes.

By the way, while commuting to Denver for 15 years, people asked me how I did it. No real answer other than that was where I worked. I make that drive today, and I ask myself how in the **** did I do that for 15 years????

Oh, totalled 2 cars during that time (1 was actually totalled twice, insurance company of person who hit me from behind repaired the car when it really should have been totalled, but the car served well.)

Steve Jones - Editor (2/3/2010)

I used to drive 110 miles each way for a job. Did that for about 6 months.

Steve, dude!

No job is worth that! Unless your getting multiples of 100k's or are the director of Skunk Works. Did you drive to?

Ok so who travels the furthest to work? And how.

I do about 26 miles each way but its by train so can be a short as 45 minutes.

My commute now is about 25 miles round trip. Love working closer to home.

• LOL, I was working at the nuclear station, about 40 miles from my house. Was a good opportunity as a grad student, so I did it. Loved it.

Got promoted, offer developer job, but it was in Richmond (I was in VB). The drive concerned me, but my position was being eliminated, so I took the job and started sending resumes out. Ended up carpooling a few days a week with another guy doing similar work, but at a different place.

What was really crazy was near the end I had a project that took me to the other nuclear plant, another 30 miles north. So 2-3 times a week for a month or so I drove 140 miles each way.

Wouldn't do it again, not without a great reason. That's a lot of time wasted in driving. Didn't have kids then, so it was easier. Not easy, but easier.

• Cant imagine ever doing that. Us Lononers are bone-idel really 😉

• I was literally living on 4 hours of sleep a day for 5 days a week while commuting to/from Denver. I'd get to bed arounf 11 PM and get up at 3 AM.

Would I do it again, only if the pay really made it worth the while. For what I make now, h*** no.

• For a week I commuted 80 miles each way then thought hell no and asked work to put me up in a hotel, which they obliged since I was doing them a huge favour anyway!

After that I worked from home some days and the rest I commuted 100 miles each way ... took me just under 2 hours so wasn't so bad, traffic was usually clear on the M40.

On average I've done 1hr 30mins each way for most jobs, the quickest being a 10 min drive but that was my first job 🙂 Now I do 40-50 mins each way which I can live with, but what annoys me is stop start traffic, I'd rather do another 10 miles and keep moving than grind my clutch pedal.

Nowadays I have a rule: I would work no further than a 1hr commute each way.

As for London? no idea how you do it, I find it really stressful. Give me the comfort, space and warmth of my 5 door saloon anyday!

• chris.dunn-795452 (2/4/2010)

For a week I commuted 80 miles each way then thought hell no and asked work to put me up in a hotel, which they obliged since I was doing them a huge favour anyway!

After that I worked from home some days and the rest I commuted 100 miles each way ... took me just under 2 hours so wasn't so bad, traffic was usually clear on the M40.

On average I've done 1hr 30mins each way for most jobs, the quickest being a 10 min drive but that was my first job 🙂 Now I do 40-50 mins each way which I can live with, but what annoys me is stop start traffic, I'd rather do another 10 miles and keep moving than grind my clutch pedal.

Nowadays I have a rule: I would work no further than a 1hr commute each way.

As for London? no idea how you do it, I find it really stressful. Give me the comfort, space and warmth of my 5 door saloon anyday!

Thats the point i guess. My commute has always been 40-55 on a good day, but its the stress of dealing with london that really takes a toll. Work is easy, its the travelling i dread!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply