Is there any way to capture parameter values passed for nested stored procedures?

• Is there any way to capture parameter values passed internally for nested stored procedures? Profiler is not capturing the parameters for internal invocations.

Thanks.

• I see that you need to capture the parameter that is passed to a stored proc which is nested... the question is where do you want to capture it or you just want to see the values that are being passed whilst execution

[font="Times New Roman"]For better assistance in answering your questions
    Click Here[/url][/font]

• you can run profiler using filters for the database specific and user specific(to make less entries in profiler) and then run the stored procedure using the user you mentioned in filter.

Select the events as :-

1) SP:stmtstarting

2) SP:stmtcompleted

3) RPC:Completed

4) SQL:stmtstarting

5) SQL:stmtcompleted

PS:- you can ignore putting filter on username if you not sure which user to connect with

----------
    Ashish

• crazy4sql (7/26/2011)

you can run profiler using filters for the database specific and user specific(to make less entries in profiler) and then run the stored procedure using the user you mentioned in filter.

Select the events as :-

1) SP:stmtstarting

2) SP:stmtcompleted

3) RPC:Completed

4) SQL:stmtstarting

5) SQL:stmtcompleted

PS:- you can ignore putting filter on username if you not sure which user to connect with

The above mentioned settings give the name of the variable used not the value.

Click Here[/url][/font]

• I just want to see the values that are passed during execution.

• the easiest option would be to use the debug feature available in SSMS or you can print/select the variable values before the nested SP is called. Also I believe it can be done using server side tracing as well...

Click Here[/url][/font]

• The above mentioned settings give the name of the variable used not the value.

I have just created the below procedure and tested it in profiler.

create procedure t111 @id int

as

select * from sys.databases where database_id = @id

Then executed "exec t111 2" in another sql windows

and if you run the profiler, in textdata you will get the value as

exec t111 2

where 2 is nothing but the value passed in parameter.

----------
    Ashish

• @Ashish

Can you try this nested stored proc and let me know the result.

create proc testproc (@testval nvarchar(50))

as

begin

select @testval

end

create proc testproc1 (@testval nvarchar(50))

as

begin

exec testproc @testval

end

exec testproc1 'rr'

When I ran this, In the profiler i saw exec testproc @testval and not 'rr'

Click Here[/url][/font]

• create proc testproc (@testval nvarchar(50))

as

begin

select @testval

end

when i executed "exec testproc 'ashish'"

result in profile in column TextData :-

exec testproc 'ashish'

create proc testproc1 (@testval nvarchar(50))

as

begin

exec testproc @testval

end

exec testproc1 'rr'

When I ran this, In the profiler i saw exec testproc @testval and not 'rr'

result in profile in column TextData :-

exec testproc1 'rr'

I hope you know how to run the profiler and how to capture the things. If yes then run your code yourself and test it.

----------
    Ashish

• I hope you know how to run the profiler and how to capture the things. If yes then run your code yourself and test it.

Hi Ashish, I am very well aware of profiler an how to capture trace events... I expected you to run the outer procedure and observe the trace. For your ease please find the screenshot of the trace

You can see that I had executed stored proc TestProc1[Which is the outer Proc] and not TestProc[Which is nested inside TestProc1]

Click Here[/url][/font]

• SQL Profiler is a tracing tool, so it does show what has been executed. It's not a debugging tool.

So you will never see what the parameters values are if the values were not stated in the executed query. Whould you expect profiler to show the value of the variable if it's used in the WHERE clause or anywhere else in a query?

If you want to capture the input parameter values, you should write custom logging code to do so.

How to post your question to get the best and quick help[/url]

• Eugene Elutin (7/27/2011)

SQL Profiler is a tracing tool, so it does show what has been executed. It's not a debugging tool.

So you will never see what the parameters values are if the values were not stated in the executed query. Whould you expect profiler to show the value of the variable if it's used in the WHERE clause or anywhere else in a query?

If you want to capture the input parameter values, you should write custom logging code to do so.

Well... that was something i was trying to explain... Nailed it Eugene

Click Here[/url][/font]

• Did anyone help you with this? I am having the same problem. Do you really have to add logging into the procedure itself? This seems ridiculous.

• It seems there is no other way other than adding additional logging or working in a drill down mode starting from root stored procedure to the internal child procedure calls.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply