Is there a tool that inventories SQL Server instances?

• Hello,

Is there a tool that inventories SQL Server instances? I am looking something that tells me the edition and version of instances of SQL Servers in my company's network.

Thanks,

Paul

• Hi,

You can use the MAP tool

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/solutionaccelerators/dd537566

• MAP is about as useful as a chocolate saucepan.

There are many tools for providing inventory services on sql server. Redgate and Quest are just examples of tool vendors

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle (8/10/2015)

MAP is about as useful as a chocolate saucepan.

Heh... I tried MAP about 6 months ago just to see what it was all about. I couldn't think of a politically correct term for what I thought of it until I saw your post above. Thanks for the morning guffaw. 🙂

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• disclaimer: I work for the company behind SQLDocKit

We have developed a tool that will help you with that https://www.sqldockit.com

To differentiate from other vendors and MAPS as well 😀 we have built snapshots and compare technology (ability to compare any setting of the server that you have today and how it was configured for example 2 months before, so you can see the differences, and you can compare two different SQL servers so you can find differences in the configuration) and Best Practices that checks your SQL server configuration with the best practices Microsoft recommends and explains to your what you need to change on your SQL.

Of course root functionality of the tool is to auto-discover all the SQL servers and databases on your network.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply