Is sp_send_dbmail Asynchronous?

• mhtanner - Thursday, January 24, 2019 1:12 AM

db_send_dbmail returns a mailitem_id immediately (the email is queued to be sent later). Use that to read msdb.dbo.sysmail_mailitems and check sent_status at a later time (values 0-3 in my previous posting), rather than worrying about a unique subject.  On our system it usually sends (or fails) within a second or two, but when there are problems can take up to a couple of minutes.

Exactly what I've usually seen as well. The optional output parameter of @mailitem_id from the stored procedure tends to get overlooked.

Sue

• Okay, thanks!  (Finally got the e-mail from my database!... where do they go when they get lost between my computer and gmail?) So I know the code works...
    Guess I'll go play with it some more.  But I think my problem is solved for now.

• here's a  scripts i actually put into views ie (GoodMail and FailMail) by toggling the WHERE statement; very handy for at a glance status of emails.
    so i can review recent emails:

SELECT top 100
    mail.send_request_date As SentDate,
    sent_status As Reason,
    err.[description],
    mail.*
    FROM [msdb].[dbo].[sysmail_allitems] mail
    inner join [msdb].[dbo].[sysmail_event_log] err
      ON err.mailitem_id = mail.mailitem_id
    WHERE mail.sent_status <> 'sent'
      order by mailitem_id desc

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• In addition to Lowell's query showing you the details of messages that have errored, there is also a query you can run to see items that are stuck in an UNSENT state, and wouldn't show up in sysmail_event_log:
    SELECT * FROM dbo.sysmail_unsentitems;
    Note: this does just query sysmail_allitems behind the scenes.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply