is it possible to install sql managment studio on XP?

• hi guys,

this sounds possible from various info from net but I cant get it to work :/

ive installed sql 2008 express and all the needed updates that it asked for.

but when run the studio install, it just send me to the previous install screen, but with no option to select the management tools basic 🙁

help!

thanks

dan

• You certainly can have SSMS with SQLS 2008 Express, but the way I did it was to install "SQL Server Express with Tools" rather than the server and the tools separately.

Tom

• Are you getting an error during the install?

I have installed it several times separately, so I would expect some sort of error if it is not working for you.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• As much as I loved XP, XP is no longer supported. You really need to upgrade.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• hi guys,

many thanks for the replies.

ah ok - so i dont need to be installing server then?

as you can tell im rather new to all this sql lark 😀

..all im trying to do is get a db enviro along with the graphical view/management tool, so assumed that would mean a server install :/

i wasnt getting any errors at the end when trying to install the studio exe - it sent me back in to the same install screens, where it sounded like i need to be able to select the management tools basic option....but i just coudnt see that option available to me :/

yeah i was wondering whether i would need to buy win7 and upgrade the old laptop - but will try it on my win7 pc first just to make sure that sorts it

cheers

dan

...oh btw - someone has advised me to install oracle db for trying things out - but im guessing that is a fair bit different to Sql server enviro?

• SQLRNNR (7/25/2015)

Are you getting an error during the install?

I have installed it several times separately, so I would expect some sort of error if it is not working for you.

ahh...found this one with tools 🙂 cool thanks - will give that a bash

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=22973

cheers

• TomThomson (7/25/2015)

You certainly can have SSMS with SQLS 2008 Express, but the way I did it was to install "SQL Server Express with Tools" rather than the server and the tools separately.

awesome! thanks Tom - studio is now installed 🙂

cheers

dan

• dbe003-forum (7/27/2015)

studio is now installed 🙂

Congrats

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Quick thought, hope you have either the appropriate firewall/security measures in place or that the machine is either not connected or unplugged from the internet, XP is indeed inherently vulnerable and should NOT be used.

😎

• cheers guys ... im not too bothered about this machine as its just my play/install/old laptop - its got AV on it, but im not too bothered if it gets attacked

dan

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply