Is Forgiveness Possible?

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Is Forgiveness Possible?

• In these days and times, I am not sure if forgiveness is in may peoples vocabulary anymore.  Punishing people for things that they said many years ago, I don't agree with that.  People change over time, usually.  There are come that never change but I would hope they are few and far between.

• I hope that forgiveness is possible for those who have really changed and are sincerely sorry (not a "I'm sorry I got caught and it's really someone else's fault" type of apology.)

We've all done stupid things at one time or another.

I hope that I can show the type of mercy I would want to be shown.

• Forgiveness is and should always be attainable. If we truly do to others as we would have them do to us, then restoration should be a given. We may or may not have done the same thing that someone else did and what they did may be more  or less despicable, but if we leave no path for forgiveness for someone, then how can we expect one when we mess up. Typically the difference between the people being torn down for the things they've done and those of us not being torn down isn't that the other's is much worse or that they're less remorseful, it's that theirs is no longer secret and ours still is. That, and I know I don't want to be the type of person who can't look past the transgressions of another person, it's just not who I should be.

-

• Yes it is.
    But generally it is based on the moral compass of the person passing judgment. If forgiveness and understanding is in their ability, it is possible. If otherwise, not.

As for data kept and stored, I consider myself lucky not to grow up today!
    However, data sources will be questioned in the future. It becomes increasingly easy to manipulate the history. And data formats may have a life which is considerably shorter than the lives of those captured in the data.

I think this is not a technical question, but a question about what kind of humanity we want to live in. "It is human to err", it is written in old books. I can't say whether knowing the details of the past is good or bad on selection day, but I guess it is better to take office with your history known than to take office and fearing every day that your past will be unraveled by your enemies. For one thing, it makes you less a target for pressure and persuasion, and I like that in a voice of the community. SSC or the world in general.

• Not always. Some behaviors are unforgivable by mortals.

The director in question is deplorable in actions and deeds. He joins a whole host of others including many other entertainment industry folks, politicians and priests. Whether their illness is generic, learned or cultural, research shows it's most likely not curable. And you really don't want go down the rabbit hole and spend much time reading of their exploits, especially if you have or care about children. You will lose faith in humankind.

And today being 9/11, you can add a whole slew of others not to forgive. History is full of irredeemable primates.

• Louis Davidson (@drsql) - Saturday, September 8, 2018 2:37 PM

Comments posted to this topic are about the item Is Forgiveness Possible?

I've yet to meet anyone without some major faux pas in their past, perhaps when they were (much) younger and, but their own admission, foolish.  (I confess that I'm looking in the mirror.)  I also won't rule out the possibility that I will do or say something reprehensible in the future, when I clearly know better.  However, if I sincerely admit my faults and clearly state my intention to change my behavior (even knowing that I, being human and fallible, may be less than perfect going forward) and ask for forgiveness, I hope it will be extended.  

I believe it is wrong to forever hold someone's past acts and words against them, if that person expresses sincere remorse and works to make the aggrieved party whole.  Otherwise, who would be able to stand?

• If I said it/did it, then I am accountable for it. Whether I admit it determines how hard that path is for me, but if I do something so reprehensible then I cannot expect others to ignore it. If it was a long time ago and I have changed my ways, I can implore others to take that into account, but if it happened, it happened. I saw this quote somewhere, and it seems applicable, although in the extreme,

Historians have a word for Germans who joined the Nazi party not because they hated Jews,
    but because of a hope for restored patriotism,
    or a sense of economic anxiety,
    or a hope to preserve their religious values,
    or dislike of their opponents,
    or raw political opportunism,
    or convenience,
    or ignorance,
    or greed.
    That word is ‘Nazi.’

Sarah Pearl Besbris Paule

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply