is a+ certification is good for carrier ?

• Hello forum members,

I am new in this fourm. Actually someone suggest me to do a+ certification course. But i am confused about a+ is good for me. can anyone help me about what will me my salary after a+ certification. what are the career option available after a+ certification. And what are the good institutes or online methods available for this course.

thaks

• Hi Avan

Certification is certainly good for your career. I have taken certification regularly the last 15 years and my cv now certainly looks impressive. However you need to show your stuff at work - which again shows on your salary. It takes time to get "up-there" and sometimes you need to change employer. Certifications are great to learn the products and no employer expects you to know all the stuff if you are a newbie.

I have landed several jobs based on my certifications as my contestors have said "they have worked with sqlserver the last 10 years". I have also done this but I have taken certifications for each version that has come out (yet to take the SQL 2014 exam but I have 2000, 2005, 2008 and 2012). In addition I normally take the Windows MCSE/ITP exams (skipped 2012 and will go for 2016 when it starts to appear).

Don't mind so much about always getting the latest and greatest. Most businesses are on SQL 2008 now and appreciate that you know their existing platform. So take your time and pick one by one. I try to do 2 per year. One at spring and one at autumn.

• Honestly, I do not recommend the COMPTIA A+ certification for you. The best way to maximize your earning potential is to take remedial English classes until you can take and pass the TOEFL exam.

I work with many people who are not native English speakers, so I am accustomed to translating broken English ("carrier" instead of "career", "thaks" instead of "thanks", etc.). However, your posting indicates a very low level of English comprehension and adding general technical skills with the A+ certification will not address your largest skill gap.

I hope you can take this advice with the spirit that it was offered and understand I am only trying to help you. Adding English writing and speaking skills will help you more than any technical skills. Also, this forum is for Microsoft SQL Server certifications, so not many people here will have personal experience with the A+ certification.

• First, welcome to SQL Server Central! You'll notice on the homepage that this site is "A Microsoft SQL Server community of 1,800,502 DBAs, developers and SQL Server users". Most of the people who come here do something SQL Server related. That's what I do and all I know about.

If you are considering doing something related to SQL Server such as becoming a DBA, Developer or Analyst I don't think there is much value in an A+ certification. Actually, these days, particularly with the explosion of cloud computing I think the A+ cert has less valuable than ever. Certifications in general may help you get your foot in the door but are not critical if you want to do what we are doing. If you are interested in a career related to SQL Server then it's not a bad idea to take a look at the SQL Server 2012 certs. That said, nothing is better than experience. Experience is what's in demand these days.

I have been working with SQL Server since 1998/1999 and have never gotten any certifications; not having any certs has not held me back. They don't hurt either.

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply