Invalid Date Removal

• I have a query that has the following syntax......

select * from openquery (testserver,'select location,zip,convert(datetime,updated) from tstdbase.dbo.zipcodes where updated between convert(char(8),dateadd(year,-2,getdate()),112) and convert(char(8),getdate(),112)) a

The problem is that the updated column that I need returned converted to datetime is a varchar(8) field with the following syntax for dates......YYYYMMDD.  That would be fine except the column has some records that have a blank value instead of a date.  These blank values cause me to get the out-of-range datetime conversion error.  I tried the following and received the same error.

select * from openquery (testserver,'select location,zip,convert(datetime,updated) from (select * from tstdbase.dbo.zipcodes where isdate(updated) = 1) z where updated between convert(char(8),dateadd(year,-2,getdate()),112) and convert(char(8),getdate(),112)) a

Does anyone know how I can exclude those values and still convert the field?  I can't update the bad values, and I don't want to have to create a temp table to store all valid records in and then use that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Adam

• you could use the isdate() function:

Select * from table where isdate(column) = 1

• I have already tried that, it was what was different between my first syntax example and my second syntax example.   I also have tried putting the isdate() function in the final where statement like so....

select * from openquery (testserver,'select location,zip,convert(datetime,updated) from tstdbase.dbo.zipcodes where isdate(updated) = 1 and updated between convert(char(8),dateadd(year,-2,getdate()),112) and convert(char(8),getdate(),112)) a

No matter where I include it, I still receive the error.  I believe it is because of the datetime functions included in my where statement.  The only fix may be to do a subtraction instead of using dateadd().  Like so, to decrease the beginning date 2 years, use updated - 10000.  It isn't pretty but I think it is the only fix.

Adam

• Look at the COALESCE function for the conversion part.  basically if the DATE field is NULL or EMPTY you could provide a dummy date to return

OR you could use a CASE WHEN statement....

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply