Introduction to DML Triggers

• Nice article. So what's considered excessive trigger use? We have some triggers that are 2000 lines and do a whole lot of data cleanup. They fire recursively too and we've occasionally hit that 32 level limit.

• I don't know that I'd call a trigger excessive because of the number of lines of code, but more by what it does and how long it takes. I would consider a trigger that recurses to be a candidate for evaluation. It sounds like the processing you are doing needs to be moved out of the trigger though.

If the triggers are part of an ETL process I'd look into SSIS or another way to process the data.

• Jack Corbett (10/14/2008)

Robert,

Thanks for the comment. I believe you are incorrect in stating that the transaction will not fail on an error with the trigger. An error in a trigger will cause a rollback in my experience. Your are correct in stating that the client application should handle it, and then you can re-submit a corrected transaction, but left to itself the data modification is rolled back either explicitly like in your code, or implicitly.

You're right with your test case, but that's the side effect of try..catch. The client gets the result of a select in catch block, but no error.

Try this:

create table dbo.testXa

( a integer)

go

create trigger [dbo].[ti_test] on [dbo].[testXa] after insert

as raiserror 19999 'Sorry, not insertable'

go

select * from testxa

--emtpy table

insert into testxa values (123)

--we got an error

select * from testxa

--insert took place anyway

begin try

insert into testxa values (124)

end try

begin catch

SELECT 'Error in Trigger' AS error, Error_Message() AS MESSAGE

end catch

go

select * from testxa

--no insert took place

drop table dbo.testXa

The first insert is not rolled back. You usually use try..catch in triggers and stored procs when necessary, but client application generated update statements are usually plain update statements without try...catch.

I asked some time ago how to prevent such updates. One of options is INSTEAD OF trigger, which is not as handy as BEFORE trigger on other servers, but serves the purpose.

• Robert,

Using RaisError the way you use it in your example is generating an error message for the client, but is not actually an error in the trigger which is why the transaction is completing. As far as SQL Server is concerned the error has been handled and the trigger returns 0 for success. To demonstrate try this code:

[font="Courier New"]CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.test

AS

--select 'test'

RAISERROR 19999 'test';

GO

DECLARE @retval INT

EXEC @retval = dbo.test

SELECT @retval

DROP PROCEDURE dbo.test[/font]

For a trigger with an actual error the transaction is rolled back. In the following code I am trying to insert a value too large for the data type so the outer transaction fails in both cases:

[font="Courier New"]CREATE TABLE dbo.testXa

(

a integer

)

CREATE TABLE dbo.TestXb

(

b tinyint

)

GO

CREATE TRIGGER [dbo].[ti_test] ON [dbo].[testXa]

after INSERT

AS

INSERT INTO dbo.TestXb

SELECT

FROM

inserted

GO

SELECT

FROM

testxa

--emtpy table

INSERT INTO testxa

VALUES

(

)

--we got an error, not raised an error so no insert

SELECT

FROM

testxa

SELECT

FROM

testxb

GO

BEGIN try

INSERT INTO testxa

VALUES

(

)

END try

BEGIN catch

SELECT

'Error in Trigger' AS error,

Error_Message() AS MESSAGE

END catch

GO

--no insert took place

SELECT

FROM

testxa

DROP TABLE dbo.testXa

DROP TABLE dbo.testXb

[/font]

Even if I use Try-Catch in the trigger I get a rollback:

[font="Courier New"]CREATE TRIGGER [dbo].[ti_test] ON [dbo].[testXa]

after INSERT

AS

BEGIN try

--will not work due to overflow

INSERT INTO dbo.TestXB

SELECT

FROM

inserted

END Try

BEGIN Catch

DECLARE @error VARCHAR(500)

SET @error = Error_Message()

SELECT @error

END Catch[/font]

• Robert,

You can stop an update from occurring by issuing a rollback within the trigger.

• Jack, to my dismay, you're absolutely right. Raiserror in this form is just a message and execution continues normally.

I uncommented Select 'test' and added return 1 after raiserror and both are returned with error message.

Well, never too late to learn new things.

• Robert,

I'm gald we got this sorted out. I didn't go in trying to prove anything only to understand how it works.

• Dang it, Jack! Somehow I missed this article when it was published. Found it as a link in one of your good posts. Awesome article especially for folks new to T-SQL.

Any chance of talking you into writing one about "Instead Of" triggers? 🙂

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thanks Jeff. I could write something more detailed about INSTEAD OF triggers, but I've never actually used one in one of my databases. I use stored procedures to do anything I'd do in an INSTEAD OF trigger. That's why the INSTEAD OF section was so short.:)

• hi Jack,

thanks for your articel.

but I still have a question (hopefully it is ok to post questions/problems here, if not: sorry folks, i'm quite new here):

I get a csv string from the UI that has to be devides in several columns.

this procedure has to run very fast, so i splitted the necessary actions (because otherwise it is to slow and some information is lost):

1. procedure which inserts the whole csv string in one column. (this proc has to check if one csv string contains only one or more rows and then inserts it into the table.)

like '1211224,45345,35636,3453453,3453456,...)

2. job, which copies the new data as it is to another sql-server every 5 minutes (necessary because UI is located on a DMZ and the information has to be stored in the internal sql server)

now the trigger problem:

if the new data is inserted, i run a trigger, which splits the information in the different columns. I do not see any possibility to make an update for all the rows in the inserted as you mentioned, because the split works with a function which returns the value before the next coma of the csv-string.

create trigger trtest

declare @Hoehe int, @kmStand int, @text varchar(200)

select @text = text from inserted

-- @text is the csv string, @hoehe, @kmstand .. are variables which are used in the update statement

set @text = dbo.fKomma(@text)

set @Hoehe = dbo.fWert(@text)

set @text = dbo.fKomma(@text)

set @kmStand = dbo.fWert(@text)

update table set

hoehe = @hoehe,

kmstand = @kmstand,....

where id = @id

go

as the trigger is fired only once, i implemented a procedure

which contains a cursor to make the insert and therefore the trigger is fired for each row.

create proc pTransfer

as

set nocount on

declare tcursor cursor for

select daten

from tblOrtungExt

order by idortung

declare @daten varchar(500)

open tcursor

fetch next from tcursor

into @daten

while @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

begin

-- insert in tabel with trigger

exec pInsertOrtung @daten

fetch next from tcursor

into @daten

end

close tcursor

deallocate tcursor

go

very long problem...sorry for that. so if you have any time left :), i would be glad about any suggestions.

Susanne

• Jack Corbett (11/4/2008)

Thanks Jeff. I could write something more detailed about INSTEAD OF triggers, but I've never actually used one in one of my databases. I use stored procedures to do anything I'd do in an INSTEAD OF trigger. That's why the INSTEAD OF section was so short.:)

I think that everyone has the same thoughts there. I don't know anyone who has actually written an INSTEAD OF trigger for anything practical and wouldn't mind seeing one that's actually been tested and, hopefully, documented.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• The one thing I can think of off hand, (and I have never done this in practice) where you would need an instead of trigger is for being able to do updates against views where the view would not normally be updatable.

But except for some truly unusual situations that I have yet to come across in practice, you would be better off either forcing everyone to use a stored procedure to update that information or designing your tables so that you have no need to update the view.

Still, it is an option.

---
    Timothy A Wiseman
    SQL Blog: http://timothyawiseman.wordpress.com/

• Yeah, INSTEAD OF triggers are an option, but so aren't cursors. I know cursors do have their use, so I am sure INSTEAD OF triggers do as well. I just have not found one yet.

• For ideas see Normalizing-Denormalized Tables http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Normalization/64428/ and the discussion.

My suggestion:

You can expand on this. What you got is backward compatibility for select queries. Additionally, you can create "instead of" triggers on views, so you get update compatibility too. Idea for part II of the article.

🙂

• Heh. Robert and Mohit have a point. Instead of triggers views could be used to let a legacy application interact with and change the data in the way it is designed to, while storing it in a completely separate fashion.

Still, those circumstances should be few and far between indeed. It is much better to change the application as well, and it is better still (in most cases) to put all updates and inserts through stored procedures and then the stored procedures can be changed to fit the data layer and the application will never be the wiser.

---
    Timothy A Wiseman
    SQL Blog: http://timothyawiseman.wordpress.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply