Interview Questions Help

• Kutang Pan (8/6/2015)

When the software is being upgraded it automatuically backs up a database, It's just a full backup, so i thought at least knowing how to do a backup would be beneficial.

Some of the customers have central data warehouses to collect data from all the instruments they have and for one type of product we use SSIS to collect the data, the package is running on standard edition of SQL and changing connection dynamically to move the data around from express.

Heh... I'll do just about anything to avoid having to use SSIS especially for something like this. Just a comment... not a recommendation for change.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thank you Lynn, appreciate the effort.

Jeff,

I did try to avoid it but for this particular product i couldn't find better way. For another one I've used merge replication with dynamic row filtering and it works well, but the other didn't have good enough database structure and management allow me to change it.

• Kutang Pan (8/6/2015)

Thank you Lynn, appreciate the effort.

Jeff,

I did try to avoid it but for this particular product i couldnt find better way. For another one I've used merge replication with dynamic row filtering and it works well. But the ssis didnt have good enough structure and managment didnt want me to change it

So, just curious... have you run into a customer yet that said "No way" to the use of SSIS or any of the other 4 letter words in SQL Server?

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• No, not yet. Anyway we provide secure access to our databases and some of the customers like to develop own solutions but some want us to do it for them.

• check interview questions on forums of winmilestone.com / http://www.winmilestone.com/Topic?Interview

• Luis Cazares (8/5/2015)

You could use something as the differences of EXEC() and sp_executesql. Or just ask for them. You might want to ask about how to prevent SQL Injection (or what it is).

OK, did not know about sp_executesql and how it guards against SQL injection. Went out and learned. Learn something every day.

Would have FLUNKED that one. So, be careful about how to interpret an isolated wrong answer. The fact that I could not respond correctly to this question does not necessarily mean my claim to be able to write T-SQL is a total imposture. Otherwise you will have a hard time finding someone perfect.

• j-1064772 (6/8/2016)

Luis Cazares (8/5/2015)

You could use something as the differences of EXEC() and sp_executesql. Or just ask for them. You might want to ask about how to prevent SQL Injection (or what it is).

OK, did not know about sp_executesql and how it guards against SQL injection. Went out and learned. Learn something every day.

Would have FLUNKED that one. So, be careful about how to interpret an isolated wrong answer. The fact that I could not respond correctly to this question does not necessarily mean my claim to be able to write T-SQL is a total imposture. Otherwise you will have a hard time finding someone perfect.

In my previous job, I was in charge of making technical interviews. I made a written test with core T-SQL questions. The candidates had as much time as they wanted and after having completed it, I would go through their answers and gave them an opportunity to correct or improve an answer by some guidance. I would have loved that someone would only miss a SQL injection questions (which wasn't in the test), but most of them couldn't explain correctly how joins work or write the code for fizzbuzz or even try to code it.

For a SQL developer position, that was a "H... NO", especially when they admitted not having any interest on improving their skills.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • especially when they admitted not having any interest on improving their skills

The applicant from Hell ...

• prafuljemail (6/7/2016)

check interview questions on forums of winmilestone.com / http://www.winmilestone.com/Topic?Interview%5B/quote%5D

You want way too much information on the signup sheet. It's not worth it.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (6/8/2016)

prafuljemail (6/7/2016)

check interview questions on forums of winmilestone.com / http://www.winmilestone.com/Topic?Interview%5B/quote%5D

You want way too much information on the signup sheet. It's not worth it.

Not only that, the page seems very vulnerable.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply