Internal auditors want access to production databases

• Not if you restrict it to only use 2.

Also keep in mind to restrict the "audit" instances max server memory.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• I strongly recommend, if this is to be a regular occurence, that you create a dedicated reporting server, and have the data from your production server replicated across, and even then, only grant them read access to the reporting server. That way, if someone does a silly join in a query, it doesn't affect your production server. If you don't want to pay for a license, you'll have to use SQL Express and perhaps truncate the new server's data, depending on how much the auditors need.

Gaby________________________________________________________________"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not." - Albert Einstein

• ALZDBA (4/28/2009)

Not if you restrict it to only use 2.

Let me clarify - we have 8 processors and one instance right now. We will add an additional instance and restrict it to use 2 processors. Will the original instance still use all 8?

• Gaby Abed (4/29/2009)

I strongly recommend, if this is to be a regular occurence, that you create a dedicated reporting server, and have the data from your production server replicated across, and even then, only grant them read access to the reporting server. That way, if someone does a silly join in a query, it doesn't affect your production server. If you don't want to pay for a license, you'll have to use SQL Express and perhaps truncate the new server's data, depending on how much the auditors need.

We're waiting to get the last 3 databases off our 2000 cluster to do exactly this.

• Have you tried using SSRS Report Builder for Ad-Hoc queries in place of Access? It has much better performance than Access, limits what they have access to, & is free if the Reporting Services instance is already loaded on the same instance as the database server.

• corsair1 (4/29/2009)

Have you tried using SSRS Report Builder for Ad-Hoc queries in place of Access? It has much better performance than Access, limits what they have access to, & is free if the Reporting Services instance is already loaded on the same instance as the database server.

We're running a pilot with another group - but we've had some trouble with large data sets and are reluctant to release it on a production DB server. We're waiting on the dedicated reporting server.

• sam (4/29/2009)

ALZDBA (4/28/2009)

Not if you restrict it to only use 2.

Let me clarify - we have 8 processors and one instance right now. We will add an additional instance and restrict it to use 2 processors. Will the original instance still use all 8?

Yes.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• ---------:-P--------------

[font="Comic Sans MS"]+++BLADE+++[/font]:cool:

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply