Installing Ubuntu in Level 1 of the Stairway to SQL Server on Linux

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Installing Ubuntu in Level 1 of the Stairway to SQL Server on Linux

• Would it be possible to install SQL Server on 18.04?  I don't want to downgrade from 18.04. Has this been tried? 

I'm quite excited about this. This, Visual Code, .NET Core, ASP.NET Core MVC etc.

Good times 🙂

• Joffrey - Wednesday, August 15, 2018 2:41 AM

Would it be possible to install SQL Server on 18.04?  I don't want to downgrade from 18.04. Has this been tried? 

I'm quite excited about this. This, Visual Code, .NET Core, ASP.NET Core MVC etc.

Good times 🙂

Not at the moment, SQL Server on Linux (Ubuntu) only supports Ubuntu 16.04 . I created a 16.04 container on my 18.04 home PC specifically to host a SQL Server instance.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Just a heads up on this article. You can also install SQL Server on CentOS. Since CentOS is but a free version of RHEL, it will work just the same.

In case anyone was wondering.

Aubrey W Love
    aka: PailWriter
    https://www.aubreywlove.com/

• Aubrey Love wrote:

Just a heads up on this article. You can also install SQL Server on CentOS. Since CentOS is but a free version of RHEL, it will work just the same.

In case anyone was wondering.

Apart from that CentOS is not a supported Operating system for SQL Server, and therefore you will be running an unsupported configuration. Microsoft will not address any problems you have on an unsupported configuration, so it is normally advised against.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• At least Microsoft officially support Ubuntu 18.04

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/linux/quickstart-install-connect-ubuntu?view=sql-server-ver15

Any one have any ideas how long it will be before they support Ubuntu 20.04?

• Hi Chris,

the support for Ubuntu 20.04 will be probably released with the next Microsoft ODBC driver in July/August.

Danilo

• Chris Harshman wrote:

At least Microsoft officially support Ubuntu 18.04

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/linux/quickstart-install-connect-ubuntu?view=sql-server-ver15

Any one have any ideas how long it will be before they support Ubuntu 20.04?

Danilo Dominici wrote:

Hi Chris,

the support for Ubuntu 20.04 will be probably released with the next Microsoft ODBC driver in July/August.

Danilo

18.04 has been fairly recent, if I recall; think as late as this year. Certainly support for 18.04 wasn't out when 16.04 hit the 3 year mark, when some vendors remove support for their "flavour" of it (i.e. Kubuntu, Ubuntu Mate).

I really hope Microsoft are quicker this time around.

Thom~

Larnu.uk

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply