Installing applications that need sysadmin privileges on a SQL instance

• At times some third party comes along that needs to install their application on one of the application servers. The installer needs to connect to a SQL instance and create a database along with tables, users...

What is the preferred way to give these consultants access to the SQL instance?

I was thinking, let me create the db for you and grant you full access to that for creating your tables, etc... But what if it's a "does all" installer and it cannot cope with the fact that the db is pre-created? A lot of application installers do not really have a whole lot of options for the db connection.

Do you create a seperate temp login with enough privileges and delete it afterwards? But what if it owns schemas that it created?

I was wondering how the "gurus" do it...

• I always like to create a separate login. temporary if possible (set a note in Outlook to delete it) with a strong password.

I'd consider that it might need to be permanent as the app might bury it somewhere, so be sure that you conform to standards you have for naming, roles, etc. If it has to remain perm, I'd likely remove some permisions or roles from the login after install.

• Thx for the quick reply! I kinda expected this answer. But I seldom feel comfortable with these situations. You never know what the installer is doing. Or, it's probably just me being paranoid... 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply