Installed SS 2016, unable to find default instance or create one

• I have just installed SQL Server 2016 and SSMS 2016 on a virtual machine/server. I'm not sure how to find or create a SQL Server Instance, or find the default instance. On this server I'll be moving several databases from another named server running SQL Server 2003. Any ideas on creating an instance and then any tips on moving my first database from the existing server.        aTdHvAaNnKcSe!

• briancampbellmcad - Friday, August 25, 2017 9:07 AM

I have just installed SQL Server 2016 and SSMS 2016 on a virtual machine/server. I'm not sure how to find or create a SQL Server Instance, or find the default instance. On this server I'll be moving several databases from another named server running SQL Server 2003. Any ideas on creating an instance and then any tips on moving my first database from the existing server.        aTdHvAaNnKcSe!

When you installed it you would have installed a default instance or a named instance. Do you remember what you did?
    You can look in Services and look at those starting with: SQL Server. You can also look at SQL Server Configuration Manager.
    SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) is a default instance. You can access it by using the server name.
    SQL Server (SomeOtherThing) is a named instance. You can access it by using ServerName\SomeOtherThing.
    Make sure the instance is running. If it's a named instance, try running the SQL Server Browser service if you have problems connecting.

Sue

• If you installed SQL Server 2016 on the VM then you can find out what the instance info is. Go to Start > All Programs > SQL Server 2016 and run the Installation Center. Once that opens go to the Tools area and run the tool to do a features discovery report. It will produce a web page with the features and instance names (if applicable) installed on the box. Can you share the results of that report?

Joie Andrew
    "Since 1982"

• Joie Andrew - Sunday, August 27, 2017 4:16 AM

If you installed SQL Server 2016 on the VM then you can find out what the instance info is. Go to Start > All Programs > SQL Server 2016 and run the Installation Center. Once that opens go to the Tools area and run the tool to do a features discovery report. It will produce a web page with the features and instance names (if applicable) installed on the box. Can you share the results of that report?

Here is the report:

• briancampbellmcad - Monday, August 28, 2017 6:46 AM

Joie Andrew - Sunday, August 27, 2017 4:16 AM

If you installed SQL Server 2016 on the VM then you can find out what the instance info is. Go to Start > All Programs > SQL Server 2016 and run the Installation Center. Once that opens go to the Tools area and run the tool to do a features discovery report. It will produce a web page with the features and instance names (if applicable) installed on the box. Can you share the results of that report?

Here is the report:

It suggests only the Integration Services installed . Please check as per the steps mentioned by Sue_H .

• Arsh - Monday, August 28, 2017 8:38 AM

briancampbellmcad - Monday, August 28, 2017 6:46 AM

Joie Andrew - Sunday, August 27, 2017 4:16 AM

Here is the report:

It suggests only the Integration Services installed . Please check as per the steps mentioned by Sue_H .

Can also check in the control panel .  Go to add / remove programs area and select SQL server engine for uninstall (but do not click uninstall!) . The resulting list shows the installed SQL server instances.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply