Install SQLServer 2000 in Windows Server 2008

• Dear All,

Can we install SQLServer 2000 (Developer Edition) in Windows Server 2008 (Standard Edition)?

Please advise/confirm.

Thanks and Regards,

Ravichandra.

• Dear All,

Can someone advise on my request?please

Thanks and Regards,

Ravichandra.

• As far as I can tell no, but I couldn't find any official documentation. I could find that SQL Server 2005 SP3 is the oldest version supported on Windows Server 2008 R2. I, also, found a number of people that tried and couldn't get it to install.

Normal support for SQL Server 2000 ended on 4/8/2008, more than two years ago, so you may want to look at upgrading to 2005, 2008, or 2008 R2.

• Thanks,

SQLServer 2005 standard edition was already installed and when Iam trying to install SQLServer 2000 Developer edition in the same server it's throwing an error while installing " incompatibility error".

Your answer is not possible,isn't?

Please advise.

Thanks and Regards,

Ravichandra.

• Dear All,

Can someone advise on the below request? please

Thanks and Regards,

Ravichandra.

• Here's a post where I mentioned some of the issues I ran into:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic780491-9-1.aspx#bm902766

• Although SQL Server 2000 is not supported at all now and MSFT does not support 2000 on a windows server 2008 or 2008 R2 environment, you can install SQL Server 2000 on one of those servers.

I think the issue you were running into was related more to installing a developers edition onto a server that already had a 2005 instance that was either standard or enterprise.

You might reverse the installation process and install the MSDE version first and then reinstall the 2005 instance.

One thing you may run into though are problems with mail and some ODBC connections, which you will have to work around.

Bottom Line. Even though it IS possible to install on a 2008 server, it is not optimal and you are asking for anomalies (also known as gremlins) to pop up, especially if your Windows server is also 64bit.

I would NOT do this in a production environment. but if you have a test environment to play with then try it out.

Good Luck

• Install MS SQL server 2000 via setup instead of AutoRun... setup can bypass the compatibility check very easily...

Try this...

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply