Inserting the return from a split function to a table

• I need to send a comma delimited string to my split function and then iterate through the results of that function and act on each element of it. Normally I create a temporary table, fill it with the collection I need to work with by way of a query, and then iterate through the records until it is empty. With the function I am unsure how to reference the table that is returned in order to cycle through the records.

The method I am accustomed to is:

DECLARE @Value varchar(100)

BEGIN

CREATE TABLE #temp (

Value varchar(100)

)

INSERT INTO #temp SELECT value FROM table WHERE condition.

SET @Value = (SELECT MAX(Value)FROM #temp)

WHILE @Value > '' OR @Value IS NOT NULL

BEGIN

[TASK ALGORITHM]

DELETE FROM #temp WHERE Value = @Value

SET @Value = (SELECT MAX(Value)FROM #temp)

END

END

The value stored in the table in this example is always unique making an ID column unnecessary.

For some reason I am not seeing what I need to do to process the return from a function in a similar manner. Can anyone help me with this?

• You may want to check out the thread over here http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50648 which talks all about split functions and the best way to handle the scenario. I have a feeling you may want to copy one of the split functions posted there.

• Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately it still doesn't provide a solution to my particular problem. Its not the split that I am having difficulty with, but how to manipulate the value that is returned from it.

• OK I think I see what you are asking now. You could try something like this if I am understanding you correctly.

DECLARE @result TABLE( data varchar(100) NULL )

INSERT INTO @result SELECT data FROM dbo.ufnSplit('my,comma,delimited,string')

SELECT * FROM @result

Then just iterate through the @result table variable how you would with a temp table.

• Thank you very much!

• Out of curiosity, what kind of action do you need to take on each result?

• Thomas Mick (3/3/2009)

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately it still doesn't provide a solution to my particular problem. Its not the split that I am having difficulty with, but how to manipulate the value that is returned from it.

Hi Thomas... any chance of you posting your split function? Might have a performance tip or two for you...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply