Information on installing SSRS, SSAS, SSIS on seperate servers

• I just can't seem to find the info I'm looking for...

Currently our RS, AS, and IS share a single server. Is it possible/recommended to install them each on their own servers? Any links to reputable documentation provided would be greatly appreciated.

I'm interested in both SQL Server 2008 R2 and 2012.

Thanks!

• lisa.randles (10/21/2014)

I just can't seem to find the info I'm looking for...

Currently our RS, AS, and IS share a single server. Is it possible/recommended to install them each on their own servers? Any links to reputable documentation provided would be greatly appreciated.

I'm interested in both SQL Server 2008 R2 and 2012.

Thanks!

You can install these services on separate servers if you wish/need. All you need to do is to run the setup process (i.e. from the SQL Server installation media, launch setup and install the components you are after)

Please note that you probably need to purchase additional SQL licences for each of the additional servers that you install. Check your licence documentation - normally, each separate server that you install SQL component to needs a separate licence.

• Thanks for your reply! I assumed it was possible, but still can't find much on the topic other than one-off websites and not really any meat-and-bones info of pros/cons of doing so from MSDN/BOL or whitepapers on the subject. I feel like I'm blatently missing it and it should be easy to find. :hehe:

• The reasons for installing the different services on separate servers is for performance and scalability. Database servers like lots of RAM (SQL and SSAS) and frequently I find that running other services on database servers that are heavily used can be a poor choice. SSRS is a web application and you may wish to use web farm technology to scale that out.

Generally, monitoring CPU, memory, paging and I/O on a server will give you an good indication of whether a server is getting a little too busy. Moving load to another server is one option - e.g. such as moving SSAS or SSIS or SSRS to another server.

• Just run the SQL installer (DVD) on each server and select what components to install (DB Services on Server1, SSAS on Server2, SSRS on Server3). Don't forget to service pack 'em all too.

If you run everything on the same server be sure and adjust the Maximum/Minimum server memory for the DB Services, Memory \ HardMemoryLimit, LowMemoryLimit, TotalMemoryLimit, VertiPaqMemoryLimit for SSAS AND leave memory available for SSRS AND the OS.

• Did you find any white papers or information on this topic? I'm involved with planning a BI system upgrade from SQL 2005 to 2012, and trying to find MSDN or other white papers outlining best practice. I'm looking for citable reference for my presentation to management.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply