Index rebuild / stats update taking lot of disk space.

• @AG , It was running as  legacy. I just took over..I have removed 'Index Maint' from the activities..and also i m not getting any complaints on performance, suggesting , it was being done only for the sake of being done. yes , I agree with stats update and will schedule it according as the 20% mark is a distant  point for  some of the huge tables (with one at 15 million records). Thank you for the inputs and sharing knowledge.

• sorry the bigges table is in 9 digits, 111 million records..and over a dozen in 10s of millions.

• Ant-Green wrote:

The 5% / 30% values that where "supposed" best practise are actually a "worst" practise.

BTW and just to be sure... I totally agree with that statement and so do many of the heavy hitters in the world of SQL.

Many still don't know how bad it is to use REORGANIZE and many still think that it's "less resource intensive" and "uses less log file", etc, etc.  The answer there is a very loud and firm "It Depends" on a whole lot of factors that some really well meaning folks simply don't know about (yet).

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Arsh wrote:

@AG , It was running as  legacy. I just took over..I have removed 'Index Maint' from the activities..and also i m not getting any complaints on performance, suggesting , it was being done only for the sake of being done. yes , I agree with stats update and will schedule it according as the 20% mark is a distant  point for  some of the huge tables (with one at 15 million records). Thank you for the inputs and sharing knowledge.

Great feedback, Arsh.  Thanks.

Keep an eye on Page Density.  If you end up having a big index with page density that's wasting a lot of space, I can seriously help you figure out why and show you how to prevent large amounts of unwanted "free space" during and after a rebuild of such an index.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply