Index Optimize vs Update Stats

• I recall reading a study/article that I can no longer find that basically said the study lead ran System A and Copy of System A (B for simplicity).
    On A they ran Ola's script for Index Optimize and Update Stats and on B they ran only Update Stats. After 2 years of studying this B outperformed A.
    Does anyone recall this or did someone on SSS write this?
    I'm looking for the study so I can switch to plan B.
    Thanks for any help you may provide as I can't seem to find this anywhere on Google or Bing.

Regards,
    Matt

• Matt Simmons - Wednesday, August 8, 2018 2:20 PM

I recall reading a study/article that I can no longer find that basically said the study lead ran System A and Copy of System A (B for simplicity).
    On A they ran Ola's script for Index Optimize and Update Stats and on B they ran only Update Stats. After 2 years of studying this B outperformed A.
    Does anyone recall this or did someone on SSS write this?
    I'm looking for the study so I can switch to plan B.
    Thanks for any help you may provide as I can't seem to find this anywhere on Google or Bing.

I don't know of such an article but (and it has nothing to do with Ola's gold-standard scripts), I've not done any regular index maintenance on my production boxes since 17 Jan 2016 (more than 2 years) and, although I have a couple of things to look at for space usage, not doing any index maintenance fixed some rather major problems.  I do, however, update stats on a fairly regular basis.  And, yeah... I'm in the process of writing a rather length presentation on all of my findings.  I've also made mention of all this in a couple of much less detailed posts here on SSC.

To be sure, not doing index maintenance is not a total panacea but neither is doing regular index maintenance, especially if you followed supposed "Best Practices" of Reorg after 10% and rebuild after 30%.  The Reorgs are like a bad drug habit on certain very common kinds (not to be confused with "types", CI/NCI/etc) where the more you defrag, the more they get fragged and the more you need to degrag... vicious circle.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply