Index on View with distinct values

• I have made a view in SQL that retrieves the distinct values of ID numbers and Names from an archive table. I wanted to put an index on this view, but I'm thinking this just isn't possible. I checked out this blog: http://beyondrelational.com/modules/2/blogs/70/posts/18189/different-ways-to-find-distinct-values.aspx and re-wrote the view, but all the ways to create distinct values listed do not allow indexes on them if in a view. Unless I'm missing something. The view runs fine without an index, but I'd like to know for sure it's not possible before moving on. Thank you for any help.

• You can create an index, however, there are a lot of conditions that need to be satisfied before you can do that. Some of them are:

1. Underlying table and view must both be created with ANSI_NULLS and ANSI_PADDING on.

2. View has to be created with schemabinding.

3. You cannot use the keyword "distinct" in the view definition. You can use a group by clause with a Count_big operator(Wont accept a count operator).

4. The first index on the view has to be a clustered, unique index so it can materialize the view.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply