In Database We Trust

• Andy Warren

SSC Guru

Comments posted to this topic are about the item In Database We Trust

• SQLRNNR

SSC Guru

Definitely an interesting question.

It makes you think about the difference between a reserved keyword and just a keyword.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Ford Fairlane

SSCertifiable

Nice question, thanks.

Hope this helps...

Ford Fairlane
    Rock and Roll Detective

• Carlo Romagnano

SSC-Insane

Good question!

Thanks!

create database DEFAULT_DATABASE

This runs!

create database DELETE

This DOESN'T run!

You can use reserved words that stand for OPTIONS!

• Igor Micev

SSC-Dedicated

Interesting question!

Only the SQL Server reserved keywords cannot be used directly as a database name, anything else can - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189822.aspx

You can use [] :-), anyway.

Thanks

Igor Micev,
    My blog: www.igormicev.com

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Ed Wagner

SSC Guru

Stewart "Arturius" Campbell (2/20/2014)

SQLRNNR (2/19/2014)

Definitely an interesting question.

It makes you think about the difference between a reserved keyword and just a keyword.

+1

Yeah, it definitely made me think it through. Good question.

• stephen.long.1

SSCrazy

On multiple choice questions like this, it would be best if they did not say "(Select 2)", because four of the options will "use up" those two options: either the database is marked as trustworthy or it is not marked as trustworthy, and either the database will be set to read only or the database will not be set to read only. That means that the other two options must be false.

Aside from that minor suggestion, I do like this question, because it makes you think about which keywords are reserved and which are not (even though it's not a good idea to use a keyword for a database name), and it's interesting that a setting that is changed by ALTER DATABASE is not actually stored in the database.

• notarian@gmail.com

SSCommitted

stephen.long 56048 (2/20/2014)

On multiple choice questions like this, it would be best if they did not say "(Select 2)", because four of the options will "use up" those two options: either the database is marked as trustworthy or it is not marked as trustworthy, and either the database will be set to read only or the database will not be set to read only. That means that the other two options must be false.

Aside from that minor suggestion, I do like this question, because it makes you think about which keywords are reserved and which are not (even though it's not a good idea to use a keyword for a database name), and it's interesting that a setting that is changed by ALTER DATABASE is not actually stored in the database.

Oh man, that's true. I still learned something though.

• Andy Warren

SSC Guru

Stephen, I'll consider that for my next question!

• Revenant

SSC-Forever

Whew... out of the beaten path, definitely. Thanks, Andy!

• TomThomson

SSC Guru

stephen.long 56048 (2/20/2014)

That makes it quite shocking that 55% (229 people) of those who answered it so far got it wrong, doesn't it? If someone can't reason logically are they safe to be let loose on someone's database :w00t: ? I suppose it could be agued that "pick 2" could mean "pick two of the correct answers" and two isn't necessarily all of them, but anyone who knows how questions are described to the system knows that the system couldn't cope with that (unless it's changed since I last submitted a question).

Yes, it does seem interesting that Alter Database does that. I wonder what else (if anything else) that can be set by ALTER DATABASE is also stored elsewhere.

Tom

• Koen Verbeeck

SSC Guru

Nice question, thanks.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• happycat59

One Orange Chip

Carlo Romagnano (2/20/2014)

Good question!

Thanks!

This runs!

create database DELETE

This DOESN'T run!

Yes but

create database [DELETE]

does work

I am just waiting for someone to do this in real life. Oh the problems that could cause

and then there is this http://stackoverflow.com/questions/332365/how-does-the-sql-injection-from-the-bobby-tables-xkcd-comic-work

• SQLRNNR

SSC Guru

happycat59 (2/20/2014)

Carlo Romagnano (2/20/2014)

Good question!

Thanks!

This runs!

create database DELETE

This DOESN'T run!

Yes but

create database [DELETE]

does work

I am just waiting for someone to do this in real life. Oh the problems that could cause

and then there is this http://stackoverflow.com/questions/332365/how-does-the-sql-injection-from-the-bobby-tables-xkcd-comic-work%5B/quote%5D

Well, I am dealing with a vendor that has a table named [NULL], numerous columns named [NULL], and I was completely surprised they didn't just name the database [NULL].

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply