Import File Methadology

• Hi,

I am in the process of reworking a project done in VB 6 / MS Access to a VB.Net / SQL Server 2000 setup.

Currently, as part of our daily process, when the MS Access db is launched it uses the AutoExec feature to go out to a specific directory and import a semicolon-delimited text file.

1)  What method would you suggest to take place of this AutoExec feature I am currently using in SQL Server?

2)  Any suggestions as to how this data could be combed through and scanned for errors prior to populating in some of my tables I plan to build.

I am a SQL newbie, but from what I have read a stored procedure might accomplish problem 1) and triggers might be good for 2).

I would be most appreciative to hear what methods more experienced db gurus have adopted to import and verify external data.

Thx

• Hi,

Without knowing the frequency of importing your options are varied.

A DTS package works very well to import the raw data into a 'staging table'. You can even 'clean' the data using a package.

You can use a scheduled job to import and clean the data.

I would definitely recommend putting the raw data into a separate table before manipulating it. This means you don't have to be too specific with the initial import.

Regards

Graeme

• Bulk Insert or DTS packages can achieve this.

Microsoft has articles on line at MSDN.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/odbcsql/od_6_040_101f.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/instsql/in_backcomp_1cxl.asp

I'm more inclined to use DTS packages when I need to modify columns in the import process.

• Thank You Both,

I will look into DTS.  I am going to schedule a job to bring in the table and then perform some checks.  After the checks have been made and satisfied I will have a seperate procedure to load specific elements from the base table into a number of other tables I am going to build.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply