Import Data issue

• I'm very new at this, having read through some of the online data, but having taken no classes. 

I created a 3 row text file and attempted to load it into a table I had just created. The result is a table with column names but no rows.  I used the data transformation wizard which didn't show any error messages, in fact at the end it said 3 rows had been added. 

Any idea what I missed?

• Can you post your file and the schema info. for your table?

John Rowan

======================================================
    ======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• Just a hunch... I don't know what precisely were you doing, but if you CREATED the table first and then used the import tools, it is quite possible, that the table was created again with another name. Now you are querying your original table (the one you created), which would of course be empty.

There are certain things to be aware of - e.g. owner of the table. Maybe you created the table as yourname.import_table, while SQL import tools created another table named dbo.import_table. Also, when importing from Excel, if you don't change the name of result table, it will be derived from the name of imported sheet (not of the file) and will contain '$' character.

Open EM, order the tables by creation date and look for any conspicuous tables created in the respective time, that could be result of your import. (If these instruction seem to be too obvious, please keep in mind that you posted in newbie forum, so I'm looking for the simplest solutions first :-))

• I agree. Be default if you don't select a destination table in the Import wizard it defaults to a table name derived from the name of the source file or Excel spreadsheet.

Look for another table named like your source and I'll bet you find your data.

When you run the Import wizard make sure you select the actual table you created as the destination.

• You were correct.  The table receiving the data was at the top of the destination list, and the table I wanted to send the data to was lower in the drop down list.  Once I selected the proper table my problem was resolved.  The SQL server books online didn't point out this detail.  Thanks for your help.

• No problem...  

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply