If you could stop working tomorrow, would you still do SQL?

• I guess what I have a hard time understanding with people saying they would never touch it again is, do you not enjoy sql? Does it not make your mind think at a blazing pace? Is there no satisfaction you receive out of perf tuning or writing up a really neat chunk of code?

In my opinion there are different types of hobbies. There's the physical one: people enjoy hiking, surfing, running, basketball...whatever gets your body moving and you enjoy. Then there's that "other" side...music, art..the abstract and subjective aspect of life. But sql and other forms of technical challenges is what gives guys like us the satisfaction of the binary aspect of life. There is a time for it all. I am sure a bunch of us like to relax at night on the couch with the laptop while coding, or optimizing a database with a frosty beer cracked open. I know I really get a kick out of it.

Twitter: @SQLife
    Email: sqlsalt(at)outlook(dot)com

• Short answer: It depends... 😉 Seriously, though, no, not really.

It's a lot of work to try to get on top of everything going on, especially in 3 year life cycles, and to stay there. You have to deduce and guess at what business really wanted, turn that into usable product, and then try to calm them when it's not exactly what they had in mind and they still have to do work. I could also do with never having a 3AM call again because something went kaput.

I'd probably use it still to track some of my gaming data (I get kinda insane with my games occassionally), and maybe some stock market tracking and trending... but no, not really.

I do SQL, in particular MS SQL, because it gets me paid. I want to get better because that'll pay me better, primarily. Pride and satisfaction are nice secondary benefits. If I had other options that would pay better and be equivalent in satisfaction, I'd switch. I've chosen a career... it's not my life. I'd spend more time living, less time working.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Craig Farrell (3/21/2011)

It's a lot of work to try to get on top of everything going on, ... You have to deduce and guess at what business really wanted, turn that into usable product, and then try to calm them when it's not exactly what they had in mind and they still have to do work...

I hear that! I've TOLD customers that their specs won't produce accurate results. I've given stats showing how inaccurate it is. They insist. My manager tells me, you've done everything you can to warn them, just build it. I do.

Huh, they aren't happy with me because the data is inaccurate.

• trstringer (3/21/2011)

I guess what I have a hard time understanding with people saying they would never touch it again is, do you not enjoy sql? Does it not make your mind think at a blazing pace? Is there no satisfaction you receive out of perf tuning or writing up a really neat chunk of code?

In my opinion there are different types of hobbies. There's the physical one: people enjoy hiking, surfing, running, basketball...whatever gets your body moving and you enjoy. Then there's that "other" side...music, art..the abstract and subjective aspect of life. But sql and other forms of technical challenges is what gives guys like us the satisfaction of the binary aspect of life. There is a time for it all. I am sure a bunch of us like to relax at night on the couch with the laptop while coding, or optimizing a database with a frosty beer cracked open. I know I really get a kick out of it.

Since I answered "not a chance in h3ll..." I will reply.

In all honesty, I classify SQL (and work) as a necessary evil. I enjoy aspects of the work, but I would never be able to get a job just doing the good bits. If SQL did not pay as well as it does, I would not be doing it now.

I would much rather be trying to figure out how to make my race/rally car go just that little bit better.

been sat behind a desk for too long now (13 years - I feel :sick:), its time to get out and see the world........... so whos got my millions 😎

• I guess what I have a hard time understanding with people saying they would never touch it again is, do you not enjoy sql? Does it not make your mind think at a blazing pace? Is there no satisfaction you receive out of perf tuning or writing up a really neat chunk of code?

Like I said before I truly love what I do at work and I am privelaged to say that I get to do something I enjoy for a living. When I am not at work however it is completly different. I have too many other things I would rather spend my time doing. I understand your comment about sitting on the couch when you get home the difference is that I am sitting with my wife not my laptop and I am certainly not doing any work. I may never make six figures and I am ok with that but when I leave at 5 I stop being a DBA and return to my prefered position of husband father and freind. I may not get a monitary pay for them but I would still say I get paid better for them. Just my two cents. I am not trying to challenge any one nor am I suggesting your family is not important to you. Everyone has to find a balance that works in their family.

Dan

If only I could snap my figures and have all the correct indexes apear and the buffer clean and.... Start day dream here.

• Probably. I'd create databases for personal use (Tracking philanthropic interests, etc.). I like to teach but would start some informal users group and try to help out.

• Photography. I would love to return to professional photography again. And. music. I'd love to pursue playing trumpet professionally. And, fishing. There's nothing better than reeling in a lunker bass or a 45" muskelunge.

And, and, and... there are too many other activities that I'd love to pursue to do anything I.T.-related.

• Yes - I would continue to do SQL in some degree or another. Probably would even continue to work.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Not ever again, not even for pleasure.

• No. I would go into full-time vocational ministry working with children and youth. I love SQL Server and IT in general, but trying to find a balance between working IT and doing ministry is always a struggle.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• I feel like I had to really fight to become a DBA, I started out as an involuntary DBA but I found after a couple years that the SQL part of my job was what I enjoyed the most. But I had to constantly fight to stay a DBA. I constantly had a double work load, and my first company would view my DBA work as a carrot, instead of an essential role I was filling.

I like learning about SQL, I like presenting and talking about it. And if you gave me millions I would keep working long enough to get my Business set up, Insurance for my family, and then I would have a very expensive lab, and I would subsidies my continued learning and travel around speaking and training people on SQL.

I love writing, and I'll probably work to publish my non-fiction books one day. I love collecting comic books, I would probably do that.

I wouldn't be on call, evenings would belong to my family. I'd take summers off when my kids where out of school, (with the exception of the occasional SQL Saturday), and we would have really nice vacations.

But SQL is what I chose to work with, and I would want to keep working with it.

• I would step back a little and see why..SQL Server is a commercial product. If i were teaching Shakespeare or Music say, for a living,and someone asked me same question..probably the answer would be no, i love shakespeare and i love music and i would keep doing it regardless of whether I needed the money or not. But would MS manufacture the product if there was no money in it? Absolutely, No. So why would i dabble and learn even more? Even if were a geek like some folks are and love dabbling with the insides of code and hardware and what makes the thing tick, if i did not need the money - no sorry it wouldn't be SQL Server, it would probably be some sort of freeware. The cause is related to the origin, there is no separating it.

• I've burned out on programming before, so I don't really do much development or SQL at home anymore. It used to be fascinating, exciting, but with the corporate rules and deadlines conflicting, so much of it is frustrating that I've turned to other interests at home.

I probably wouldn't abandon SQL, but I'd scale back 50%, and work 20 hours a week on a single contract that grabbed my attention for philanthropic reasons. I'd probably donate my time to a charity. Why abandon a great tool just because it defined 40-50 hours a week? Put that knowledge to use in a new area - and make it interesting again.

• Probably not. So many opportunities, so little time.

• I would probably say if i stopped working tomorrow i'd still be interested in database technology and how it evolves. SQL Server per se...am not so sure..bcoz sql is a product, and products just go on changing..and can get replaced by a competing product even. What you learn about a product maybe upto you but how you manifest it is hugely dependant on some business putting it to use...i am reminded of a friend who knew sql server 2000 in and out, even co authored couple of books. He had to take a one year break to take care of a terminally ill parent..when he got back lot of what he knew was not of much use at all. He went to a training class to pick up new skills and found himself a job. Now he is kinda determined to learn what the job needs, a little more but not treat this as a passion like it was music or painting or some other...those skills also need polishing if you are out of touch but hey you can paint or sing for your own pleasure, or for the pleasure of your loved ones..not sure of that with SQL!!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply