If you could stop working tomorrow, would you still do SQL?

• It would be a hobby, something I'd continue to play around with.

Along with Sharepoint and Cubes.

But I have to admit, I'd spend more time out on the water.

And enjoy life with less pressures and deadlines.

Greg E

• I can't say I would use SQL Server as I would probably use one of the open source databases (Most likely PostgreSQL) in my own projects due to price.

But overall I would use SQL for the retrieval/updating of data. SQL is the best domain specific language for data retrieval/manipulation in a relational database that I have come across as of yet. I find it much more expressive than a procedural/object oriented language for data operations. Although, I think the LINQ is a step in the right direction (though for me it is harder to use than pure SQL, even as the expressions look a lot like SQL).

I would not use SQL for business logic, file management, string manipulation, etc. pretty much anything but data retrieval/updating....otherwise it tends to end up a big mess..... Transact-SQL and even Oracle's PL/SQL are crippled compared to almost any object oriented language. Far too many businesses running SQL Server want to put everything in stored procedures, even stuff that shouldn't be. Really there is only so much brain damage concatenating strings to xp_cmdshell and parsing the output for file manipulation that I can take, especially when Java has such a simple, easy to use File class with more controlled error conditions. With the various libraries/facilities for abstractions/string manipulation abilities in most programming language like Java/.NET/Python/Perl/Ruby/etc. I would use them for everything but data retrieval/updating. CHARINDEX, PATEINDEX are pathetic next to the regular expressions in any one of those languages...

Currently with business logic on all the systems I have seen, you end up either with highly efficient cut and paste code all over the place (since if you try to put common expressions in UDF you get a huge performance penalty) or a mass of UDF upon UDF and various stored procedures that add layers of inefficiencies. Even if you do stored procedures right and keep things set oriented, you end up having to build temp tables prior to calling the procedures, or have a ton of process keyed tables to keep track of when calling stored procedures. Also, if you really make functionally cohesive stored procedures, then you have to make multiple passes over a dataset (for example if you have 10 formulas and one procedure for each formula that is 10 passes over the same dataset). If you go the more efficient day with one pass, you end up with one super stored procedure perhaps with many parameters to select which formula to use...but for maintenance this is a horrible situation as now you have 10 reasons to change this one procedure... Procedural and Object Oriented languages are much better at abstracton/code re-use and to me a heck of a lot more maintainable. Really I would abandon SQL for all "off label" uses and the maintenance headache they cause.

Going forward, I would probably create a business rules library in an object oriented language for database access that uses dynamic SQL strings (with parameters to protect against SQL injection of course...). Most likely, I would use Python/Ruby for most things and Java where performance matters for all my business logic/file/string manipulation needs. I might even try to make some iPad/iPhone applications, in which case I will be using SQL to query SQLite. I will definitely play more with NoSQL based solutions as well, however I would almost bet a million dollars that SQL will be around for years to come, and I will be using it and relational databases for my data storage needs well into the next 50 years....

Definitely if I didn't need to work, I could produce quality applications on my own schedule and focus on quality and doing it right. But also if there is brain damage to maintain the application, then I won't do it on my own because it will be too much like my past employment....

• Yes I'd probably continue to do SQL but I'd probably choose to do much more coding (espcially C++).

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• Of course, but not 40 hours / week.!

• My own $0.02, I don't think I'd likely use it anymore.

I like SQL just fine, it's a great tool and I enjoy using it where it works but under the scenario described, I'm out.

I'd spend a lot more time with my kids, as well as cycling, kayaking and travelling, probably learn to sail and drive a rally car.

I really don't see being hands-on with any specific computer technology at that point.

Cheers!

• I am employed with a local government agency for some time. I chose to take database certification training while I because repsonsible for database back end webenabled applications. I was promised increasing responsibilities in this area. I installed, configured and updated these applicationw while maintainging these applications. Our department activities are slowly being farmed out to contractors.

I never had the opportunity to develo much but I did have great responsibility in applications which is being given over to these new outside vendors. I like what I do (did) and do not have direction in my "next step" based on what is happening to the work load shift in my agency. My job is scaled down but my interest is not.

Does anyone have comments on what direction I may take? This area does not have many opportunities for database administration or devleopment. How can I use my talents to be useful to the agency at this point in time? I have invested time and money into my education. I have tenure here - I am six years from a 20 year retirement threshold I don't want to interrupt.

What would you do?? Looking for direction - Michigan

• I would have a computer room installed on my Yacht so I could stay busy on the open seas, between ports of call.

• While I applaud the dedication many show and I truly love my job it is just that my job. I am lucky enough to have a job I enjoy and I enjoy the activities of a DBA. There is something satisfying in playing detective to hunt down the data elements involved in a poorly performing query and ultimatley improving that query. In the end though if I suddenly found myself wealthy I would walk away and never look back. I do not think about SQL on any level when I am not at the office and in fact I rarely sit down at a computer at home. If I could stop working tomorrow I would never be bored or want for things to do and I would enjoy speding every minute with family and freinds. I love the DBA community as a whole and find this community to be more helpful than many other branches of the IT world. While I hope that some of the contacts I have made throught the SQL community will be among those I account as my friends in that time, the day I retire will be the last time I ever utter the three letters that defines my work life.

Dan

If only I could snap my figures and have all the correct indexes apear and the buffer clean and.... Start day dream here.

• There is something fundaMENTALLY wrong, if the best (most enjoyable) way to keep your mind active, is SQL Server :hehe:

Given the chance, I would be out in the mountains, no laptop, no iPad, no iPhone..... maybe a GPS navigation device, but thats it 😉

money no object, I would would never touch SQL Server again...........

• Ever since I won the lottery, the only reason I hang out around here is so I can have friends....

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Dan.Humphries (3/21/2011)

While I applaud the dedication many show and I truly love my job it is just that my job. I am lucky enough to have a job I enjoy and I enjoy the activities of a DBA. There is something satisfying in playing detective to hunt down the data elements involved in a poorly performing query and ultimatley improving that query. In the end though if I suddenly found myself wealthy I would walk away and never look back. I do not think about SQL on any level when I am not at the office and in fact I rarely sit down at a computer at home. If I could stop working tomorrow I would never be bored or want for things to do and I would enjoy speding every minute with family and freinds. I love the DBA community as a whole and find this community to be more helpful than many other branches of the IT world. While I hope that some of the contacts I have made throught the SQL community will be among those I account as my friends in that time, the day I retire will be the last time I ever utter the three letters that defines my work life.

Thanks for saving me some time. Your post almost exactly reflects my thoughts on this subject.

Greg

• Well this is such a great question ... I think anybody wondered once since turning 30 ... But people usually mix 2 different things: one is stop working and do nothing else than walking, hanging out with friends or with the television AND stop doing what I have to do and do what I like to do. Personnaly, I would stop working in the company that employs me and I would do what I like to. As I like SQL I could certainly do some, but only as a tool if it is the correct tool to solve a particular problem. I would definitely not continue using SQL all the day.

rv

• I can't say for certain, please send me several million dollars to test my theory.

I doubt I would work as much, but I would probably continue to work, but for different people. I would want to use the skills I've gained to do as much good as possible, and so would be looking to help out charities, public interest groups, etc. Really being able to implement something and if it didn't work, just scrap it and try another angle, not worrying about funding would be refreshing.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Lowell (3/21/2011)

Ever since I won the lottery, the only reason I hang out around here is so I can have friends....

I can't figure out if this is a joke, or if I should come visit...

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• No, my plans for retirement do not include any programming whatsoever. 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply