If You Ain't Cheatin'

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item If You Ain't Cheatin'

• I find this type of behaviour disgusting. When you play a sport or attend university e.t.c. you agree to abide by the rules. Breaking those rules says to me that you aren't a "good sport" and have a disdain for others. I find that as good manners and respect for others is taught less and less, you get more of this type of anti-social behaviour. It seems to be pervasive now. Everyone wants an easy ride and no-one wants to work for it but what goes around comes around. Some day the cheaters will get their comeuppance!

Nicole Bowman

Nothing is forever.

• I couldn't agree with you more. Cheating is always disgusting.

---
    Timothy A Wiseman
    SQL Blog: http://timothyawiseman.wordpress.com/

• I doubt whether people have changed - although as an oldie it sure is tempting to think so. It's probably more like the opportunities are greater eg. the internet, drugs available to sportspeople that weren't before.

• I have seen examples of this in Sweden but I don't believe it's that common here, would be interesting to know the difference here between countries. All thou, that might be very difficult to estimate.

• In regard to the last line of the editorial: "I have no idea how to change this in the world at large, other than more emphasis throughout society on the way you succeed rather than the success."

Maintaining your integrity, passing it on to your children and promoting those ethics is the only way that I know of that spread the seeds of change.

Cheating and thinking that we are due something without effort is a trait that is to be discouraged. Unfortunately it's close cousin is the drive to figure out how to achieve something with less effort (aka: technology). The former is greed the later is ingenuity. It is a thin line indeed.

• John Magnabosco (8/25/2008)

In regard to the last line of the editorial: "I have no idea how to change this in the world at large, other than more emphasis throughout society on the way you succeed rather than the success."

I have no idea either.Though in my definition this was not the success at all, if it was achieved in dishonest manner.

• re:"If You Ain't Cheatin'"

I have found that ultimately, those who cheat are short-lived. In the long haul, the truth seems to come to the surface. In my workplace, it becomes clear fairly quickly who earned their certification(s) honestly (i.e. knows their material) and who did not.

• Consider...

There's no such thing as dumb questions, only poorly thought-out answers...
  • Consider...

"Failures are the guideposts on the road to success and every great invention in any arena had to be reached by the trial and error of the failure process."

If we stopped thinking of success and failure as opposites and realized that failure is part of the success process, maybe we would have less cheating, and more fulfilling, enriched and deserved successes.

There's no such thing as dumb questions, only poorly thought-out answers...
  • Interesting topic. Let's not focus only on sports or the workplace but on life in general. Too many of the younger generations show less and less respect for others. Murder rates rise, teenagers don't want to work a typical summer job; I could go on and on. As someone who grew up in the post WWII era we were taught those values. Now both parents work and don't have the time to spend with their children and expect day care to teach their children core values. But then what do you expect since they also were probably raised in day care and possibly their parents also were raised in day care also. In reality this has generated the welfare mentality of you owe a good life and I'm too lazy to earn it myself.

I hope someday folks will wake up before it's too late to recover from this.

• Interesting editorial and I'd guess it had some basis in this forum thread about embellishing resumes: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost557642.aspx.

In my opinion is comes down to the prevalence of situational ethics, it's right or wrong because of the situation, not because there is a hard and fast standard of right and wrong. It's okay for me to take full credit for that big project in my last job because it will help me get this job, and won't hurt anyone. Even though all I did was write the last report.

It's okay to run that red light because it's midnight and there isn't any traffic.

• Jack Corbett (8/25/2008)It's okay to run that red light because it's midnight and there isn't any traffic.

. . . and I only had two beers, I'm not drunk.

I think the way things used to be before all the urban development, people knew more about each other, noticed each other more. With the urban sprawl, tv, internet, you name it; we've increased not only the feeling of entitlement to luxury, but the level of anonymity. We're no longer the small town where if something happens, everyone knows it. We don't even have to interact if we don't want to. I'm living in a condo park, and I barely even see my neighbors. None of them know I'm moving in a week, and I'm not going to bother telling them, because they won't care.

If you don't care, and nobody knows who you are, what difference does it make what you do?

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• John Magnabosco (8/25/2008)

Cheating and thinking that we are due something without effort is a trait that is to be discouraged. Unfortunately it's close cousin is the drive to figure out how to achieve something with less effort (aka: technology). The former is greed the later is ingenuity. It is a thin line indeed.

When I read that I started thinking of people who look up answers to a technology question by asking a colleague, going on Google, etc. For a long time I actually considered that cheating because I would take the time to figure out some problem whereas the guy next to me would just ask someone else for the solution. They might not have understood why it worked, but they got it done quicker. In school that behavior would be considered cheating -- I think -- but in the workplace it's called "getting the job done", "using all available resources", or whatever buzz phrase. So it is a fine line indeed between cheating and legitimately trying to get things done with less effort.

• Cheating, or the temptation to cheat is as old as human nature. Anthropologists recognize that one of the primary functions of societies, from hunter-gatherer tribes to nation-states, is the social control of cheaters.

Not to lessen the concern, but it is now, like it has always been, a continuous battle. People naturally tend to feel that things were better in the 'old days' but when you really dig into history you would be appalled at what went on then too.

The best a society can do is make it difficult for cheaters to thrive for long, and to expose them as effectively as possible.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 82 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply