If only the US would follow ...

• Data! Data! Data! The more the merrier! Right???

Face Book sold personality profile data for millions of users to this data analytics company called Cambridge Analytica. So, who is Cambridge Analytica and what are they all about? 

The CEO of Cambridge Analytica was secretly filmed offering to entrap politicians with bribes and prostitutes
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/the-ceo-of-cambridge-analytica-was-secretly-filmed-offering-to-entrap-politicians-with-bribes-and-sex-workers/ar-BBKraQm

Companies like this are giving our profession a bad name. They are the enemy.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 11:50 AM

Data! Data! Data! The more the merrier! Right???

Face Book sold personality profile data for millions of users to this data analytics company called Cambridge Analytica. So, who is Cambridge Analytica and what are they all about? 

The CEO of Cambridge Analytica was secretly filmed offering to entrap politicians with bribes and prostitutes
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/the-ceo-of-cambridge-analytica-was-secretly-filmed-offering-to-entrap-politicians-with-bribes-and-sex-workers/ar-BBKraQm

Everytime I think we've hit the bottom the floor drops some more. Stunning that breach after breach is bigger. Things are going in the opposite direction faster than I can keep up with. I think until there is liability enforced on the collector of the data being breached this will continue.

• jmlakar 69347 - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 1:05 PM

Eric M Russell - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 11:50 AM

Everytime I think we've hit the bottom the floor drops some more. Stunning that breach after breach is bigger. Things are going in the opposite direction faster than I can keep up with. I think until there is liability enforced on the collector of the data being breached this will continue.

How organizations collect, warehouse, and use personal data should be regulated, the same way any other business is regulated. Leaking or misusing sensitive data is conceptually no different from a factory that deliberately or negligently dumps hazardous waste into the river.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 2:06 PM

jmlakar 69347 - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 1:05 PM

Eric M Russell - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 11:50 AM

How organizations collect, warehouse, and use personal data should be regulated, the same way any other business is regulated. Leaking or misusing sensitive data is conceptually no different from a factory that deliberately or negligently dumps hazardous waste into the river.

The U.S. already has many such regulations.  The problem is not with regulations but with the "just get it done" DILIGAF attitude by many mangers and the developers under them, a serious lack of audit/enforcement, and the poor manner the regulations are written in making them nearly difficult to decipher properly.  Stupid statements in a lot of regulations like "you shall enforce <whatever> unless you determine they are unenforceable by your company or the company doesn't have the ability to enforce them" have the habit of showing up in all sorts of regulations.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply