I want back my Points

• Thom A - Thursday, April 6, 2017 8:11 AM

Jeff Moden - Thursday, April 6, 2017 8:04 AM

right after the one about how to get the current date and time. πŸ˜‰

Out of interest, how many people fail that one? I feel like I'm going to be... Unpleasantly unsurprised?

In interviews I have conducted involving that question, 8 of 10 failed that one. These were "senior dbas" with 10+ years experience.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I want my points back. This was ridiculously unfair.

:Whistling:πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR - Thursday, April 6, 2017 10:15 AM

Thom A - Thursday, April 6, 2017 8:11 AM

Jeff Moden - Thursday, April 6, 2017 8:04 AM

right after the one about how to get the current date and time. πŸ˜‰

Out of interest, how many people fail that one? I feel like I'm going to be... Unpleasantly unsurprised?

In interviews I have conducted involving that question, 8 of 10 failed that one. These were "senior dbas" with 10+ years experience.

Same here and same level.  I'll also state that (before I quit counting) 20 out of 22 front end candidates that required "some knowledge of T-SQL" didn't have a clue.  And, no... this isn't a new phenomena... this has been going on for a decade of interviews.  Really, really sad state for the community at large here in SE Michigan.  As I've said in many previous posts, I originally started asking the question because it was a ridiculously simple question that I thought would help break the ice and set candidates at ease a little bit.  I had no idea that it would become a defining litmus-strip test of how the rest of the interview was going to go.

Shifting gears and if you want to have some fun on an interview when asked the "Manhole Cover" question, rattle off all the answers and then ask the interviewer "Which shape also has a consistent diameter but is not round and why would you use it as a manhole cover"?  Eat your heart out, Google Interviewers. πŸ˜‰

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Taken,easy one for me ...thank you.

β€œWhen I hear somebody sigh, β€˜Life is hard,’ I am always tempted to ask, β€˜Compared to what?’” - Sydney Harris

• I have been working with SQL Server for a long time, but I don't fully understand the syntax of this statement; particularly the "AS V([Points])" portion. I would like to understand it more fully, but I don't even know what term or technique to search.

Thanks,

Noel

• nscheaffer - Wednesday, June 7, 2017 2:01 PM

I have been working with SQL Server for a long time, but I don't fully understand the syntax of this statement; particularly the "AS V([Points])" portion. I would like to understand it more fully, but I don't even know what term or technique to search.

Thanks,

Noel

It's the alias and column name for the table value constructor. 

The values in the constructor are treated as a sort of derived table with the name V, and a single column, Points. It has 5 rows with the values listed.

Check out https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/t-sql/queries/table-value-constructor-transact-sql and https://www.simple-talk.com/sql/sql-training/table-value-constructors-in-sql-server-2008/ for a bit more info.

Cheers!

• nscheaffer - Wednesday, June 7, 2017 2:01 PM

I have been working with SQL Server for a long time, but I don't fully understand the syntax of this statement; particularly the "AS V([Points])" portion. I would like to understand it more fully, but I don't even know what term or technique to search.

Thanks,

Noel

Simply, 'V' is the alias for the table and between parenthesis [Points] is the alias name for the column. Search for the syntax of FROM and VALUES

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply