I have a problem with Distributed Transactions

• I have two servers.  a production server, and a backup server.  Both have sql server installed on them.  I can reach both, via linked servers.  I can move data between them.  I can not use a transaction between them.  It says that the transaction coordinator is not available.  I have used dtctester.exe and dtcping.exe to trouble shoot.  But they say something is wrong. 

DTC is running.  But the second server has some issues that may be os related.  So, i tried to start a transaction from our development server to the production server, and get the same issue. 

So, between prod server, and backup server, i cannot do a transaction.  I guess i could do all my data moving without transactions, but that makes me feel dirty.

Any suggestions? 

It may be a port issue, it may be an os issue on backup server.  I don't know.  I have tried to research this and found a lot of articles, but none have helped me.  Some deal with window server 2003 and 2000.  Both these machines are 2000 server.

Thanks.

• Were these machines installed from an image?  It could be that the MTC identifiers in the registry are the same.  I had a similar issue about a year ago that I posted here at sqlservercentral.

What error messages are you receiving from dtcping?

Michelle

• the first few times i ran it, i got errors that i dont remember.  But now, it passes the dtcping just fine.  unless rpc is turned off or something. 

but the dtctester, from prod server to backup server, with a new odbc connection created, gived me

no longer able to communicate with the transaction manager, because the connection to the transaction manager failed.  The transaction was aborted.

DTCTester does work from backup to prod server...

These machines were created and installed separately, as far as I can tell.  Our IT Staff performed it on their own.

• Are you running Clustering Services on the server?  If the MSDTC is not installed properly when installing SQL as a clustered instance, then distributed transactions will not work.  http://www.microsoft.com/sql has some good information on this.

• no clustering.  Simple machines with sql server installed on it.  Just two db servers.  Happens that we use the one for archiving data from production.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply