I got burned today at a SQL Server Interview!

• Despite that... there's a lot of good information on this thread.:D

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Brandie Tarvin (4/17/2008)

Mark,

What we were willing to do was to tell you not to lie and how to improve your skills so you wouldn't have to lie. Yet you seemed to have ignored all this advice and gone ahead with your plan to lie your way into a position. How exactly did you expect us to feel?

We like helping people. But when those people turn around, ignore all the advice they asked for, and then brag about it, it makes us wonder why our advice was sought out in the first place.

We are trying to help you. We're telling you that your current method is going to seriously burn you one of these days (probably sooner than later), but if you choose to ignore this advice -- and all the advice we've given you so far-- then so be it. On your head it shall be. Just don't come crying to us when you end up out of work.

This is not intended to be a flame or an attack. I only responded because your last post actually sounds confused about why we are upset.

I am confused because while I may be lying to get a job, I did not lie to YOU and I said in my first post that I don't know SQL Server but I need to get a SQL Server job... senior level SQL Server job (senior level because otherwise it doesn't pay enough)

But you were willing to help...

FYI: I am not lazy, I spend several hours each day learning SQL Server. It's just a matter of time!

Mark.

• Jeff Moden (4/17/2008)

Despite that... there's a lot of good information on this thread.:D

Not sure if this was directed to me, but I agree there is a lot of good information in this thread, especially in the beginning of it and in case something happens to this thread, I saved all of it in a Word document!

I don't understand what "pork chop" and other stuff is all about, but I have received a lot of good information and I would thank you except I am afraid to thank you due to all the hostility I am sensing now... :w00t:

• Mark Markov (4/17/2008)

I am confused because while I may be lying to get a job, I did not lie to YOU and I said in my first post that I don't know SQL Server but I need to get a SQL Server job... senior level SQL Server job. But you were willing to help.

FYI: I am not lazy, I spend several hours each day learning SQL Server. It's just a matter of time!

Mark.

If you are learning SQL Server, then why did you spend your first week taking long walks, instead of spending that time doing something constructive, like say... I don't know.

YOUR JOB!

• Bob Fazio (4/17/2008)

Mark Markov (4/17/2008)

I am confused because while I may be lying to get a job, I did not lie to YOU and I said in my first post that I don't know SQL Server but I need to get a SQL Server job... senior level SQL Server job. But you were willing to help.

Mark.

If you are learning SQL Server, then why did you spend your first week taking long walks, instead of spending that time doing something constructive, like say... I don't know.

YOUR JOB!

Ok... I did not take long walks, I took SHORT walks! That's not the point, the problem is that it was so bad that I would have quit myself if they didn't tell me not to come in on Monday!

• Jeff Moden (4/17/2008)

It's a tail yank, Brandie... someone who hates East Indians and is trying to give them a bad name. It would appear that was the whole intent of the original post.

Actually, after thinking about it a bit more, I feel like a Rat... a Lab Rat... looking back at the recent posts, I think someone did an experiment in human physcology and our good nature pretty much let us fall for it all.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Hey, don't Lab Rats get cheese when they thread the maze correctly?

Where's mine??? I want CHEDDAR!!!

@=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Jason Shadonix (4/17/2008)

Why so dead-set on getting a DBA job?

There are plenty of other IT jobs I'm sure you could do. Who knows, there may even be jobs that you have experiance doing and wouldn't have to lie your way into the position.

For that matter, have you considered non-IT jobs? When I was fresh out of college the IT market sucked, and I was able to get a job selling computers. It wasn't all that fun, but it paid the bills and was at least something on my resume.

Jason,I don't know SQL Server that well but at least I know some of it!! Enough to talk about it, build tables, write some simple queries, etc.

I actually spend several hours a day learning and I have a good memory. Just reading through questions and answers in this forum helps a lot.

There isn't anything else I know better that pays more! You see, all I am trying to do is make as much money as possible here and leave this place! I made a mistake of buying a house here so it's now more difficult to leave but still on 1 year of savings from a SQL Developer job I can live in my home country for 10 years!

• There isn't anything else I know better that pays more! You see, all I am trying to do is make as much money as possible here and leave this place! On 1 year of savings from a SQL Developer job I can live in my home country for 10 years!

Have you considered crime? Try knocking over a bank, they've got money there and you might even get a good place to live wage free for 10 years in the process.

And by the way, please, don't give Jeff cheese. 😀

John Rowan

======================================================
    ======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• John Rowan (4/17/2008)

There isn't anything else I know better that pays more! You see, all I am trying to do is make as much money as possible here and leave this place! On 1 year of savings from a SQL Developer job I can live in my home country for 10 years!

Have you considered crime? Try knocking over a bank, they've got money there and you might even get a good place to live wage free for 10 years in the process.

And by the way, please, don't give Jeff cheese. 😀

Dear Mr. John Rowan:

I come from a former Soviet republic and I have difficulty determining when Americans are joking and when they are serious... Just in case you were serious, I'll respond:

I meant to say "There isn't anything else I know better than SQL Server that pays more and is LEGAL". My goal is to make as much money as possible and leave, NOT stay as a resident of an American jail. The risk is too high. Thanks.

• I have to say this is ridiculous at this point. A lot of good people tried to give you good advice. In this field, integrity and honesty are extremely important. As I said earlier, we have access to a lot of personal and business data that needs to be safe guarded. Your willingness to lie to get a job shows a total lack in these two areas.

Also, don't think that just because where you have interviewed so far hasn't Googled your name and done significant research, that others won't. It is becoming more prevalent for employers to do so. You can read numerous articles about people losing thier jobs, or having offers pulled because of things employers have found on the web.

With no relevent experience, you aren't going to get a senior or lead DBA postion. You are going to have to start at a lower level and work your way up. Take the advice you have been given, learn the skills you need to suceed, but STOP THE LIES and BE HONEST with potential employers.

You have no real idea who may be reading this thread, and you may find yourself across from one of us one day, and we will recognize the name. How are you going to deal with that if it happens? You've already said you'll lie, how would we know different at an actual interview?

(That is what was meant by burning bridges, by the way.)

😎

• Mark Markov (4/17/2008)[/b

Dear Mr. John Rowan:

I come from a former Soviet republic and I have difficulty determining when Americans are joking and when they are serious... Just in case you were serious, I'll respond:

I meant to say "There isn't anything else I know better than SQL Server that pays more and is LEGAL". My goal is to make as much money as possible and leave, NOT stay as a resident of an American jail. The risk is too high. Thanks.

Mark,

As a 3rd generation American, I have issues with your attitude as an immigrant. (assuming this is a valid post, which some believe is not) I am all for immigration. We need all the hard workers and great minds we can get. However, the American spirit is that anyone with a little hard work can be a great success.

I am at least glad to hear you aren't thinking of doing "Illegal things" but you are definitely doing unethical things.

• Jeff Moden (4/17/2008)

Jeff Moden (4/17/2008)

It's a tail yank, Brandie... someone who hates East Indians and is trying to give them a bad name. It would appear that was the whole intent of the original post.

Actually, after thinking about it a bit more, I feel like a Rat... a Lab Rat... looking back at the recent posts, I think someone did an experiment in human physcology and our good nature pretty much let us fall for it all.

Ehh. Troll probably doesn't have any particular target in mind. The entire behavior is analagous to pretending to drown just to get a liplock from the hot lifeguard. Troll gets response from bright, personable folks whom Troll can't otherwise iteract. Troll get twisted kick of "I'm fooling them! I fooled them! I'm smarter!"

Trolls can turn a helpful environment into one of suspicion and even animosity toward newcomers. Bet practices dicatate not feeding the Troll and/or IP bannination.

• Brandie Tarvin (4/17/2008)

Hey, don't Lab Rats get cheese when they thread the maze correctly?

Where's mine??? I want CHEDDAR!!!

@=)

I actually like Pepper Jack! :w00t:

• jburkman (4/17/2008)

Jeff Moden (4/17/2008)

Jeff Moden (4/17/2008)

Ehh. Troll probably doesn't have any particular target in mind. The entire behavior is analagous to pretending to drown just to get a liplock from the hot lifeguard. Troll gets response from bright, personable folks whom Troll can't otherwise iteract. Troll get twisted kick of "I'm fooling them! I fooled them! I'm smarter!"

Trolls can turn a helpful environment into one of suspicion and even animosity toward newcomers. Bet practices dicatate not feeding the Troll and/or IP bannination.

BWAAAA-HAAAAA-HAAAA! You were right when you said "Thread is Dead". I was on my way into work and about half way there, I started laughing out loud because I realized the same thing!.... We've been TROLLED!

I've only seen something like this once before and I totally missed it earlier. Glad someone else saw it, too!

Heh... Trick or Treat... we've been tricked.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 357 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply