I got a job but .....

• I finally got a job offer. It is a non-profit organization, running SQL Server 2000 standard version. I will be in charge of the database - pretty much a one-man show. I will be the DBA, developer, data architect, production support, future planning(my boss wants to re-do the database and uses different softwares for the users. Right now the database is a mess.) So I pretty much do everything except sweeping the floor. Since it is a non-profit organization, the pay is low but the work hour is wonderful. I work from 9 to 5, that means only 35 hours each week (full time job). They don't want people to work too much overtime because they say the organization helps broken family and they don't want their own staffs ignore their family and work all the time. This is NEW to me. I used to work over 50 hours a week and my boss always wanted more.

The only concern is I have no one to ask for advise when I have problem with the database. Will I learn anything being working by myself? :unsure:

• If you do it right, more than you can possibly imagine...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• u will learn a ton. keep msdn links and forums handy.

try to get email addresses of some other experienced dba's u meet on this or other forums.

read everything u can about sql server. buy the book "SQL Server 2000 Performance and Tuning Handbook" by Ken England.

if the job sounds nice to u, and the pay works, take it.

• Like Jeff said - a lot. By getting to be both dev and DBA you get to fine-tune that fine line between "ivory tower normalization" (the DBA voice) and rank flat table scenarios (often enough - the developer) to become a Data developer. By getting to be the project lead - you get to learn the lovely art of yanking the vision someone has out of them, long before they see the finished product, and it will influence how you code AND how you structure databases.

It was how I learned - and I must say - it was a lot of fun.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Oh - and that's just the first month...:)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Congrats and likely you'll learn about a lot of things besides databases and SQL. That can only be good and help you in other positions.

The advice above is great and you'll get as much out as you put into learning more about SQL Server.

• Great news, congratulations!

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Gotta love a job with a boss that says "Go home at the end of the day and don't take your work with you!". @=)

I got one of those myself. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Congratulations.

Yes, you should learn tons & tons. When you've only yourself to rely on, you start learning things very, very quickly. Remember that automation is your friend. Spending an hour (or six, or sixty) setting up a database monitoring solution (home grown is fine) will pay for itself pdq. You'll learn all kinds of stuff. You'll also get to eat your own dog food. If you muck up the code, the database will suffer and you'll learn there. If you muck up the database design your code won't be happy and you'll learn there. Just haunt the boards & watch for best practices, hints & tricks.

I've been to classes & learned from peers & managers, but most of my own learning has been from being "the guy" and figuring out how to do stuff. Have fun.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• And always don't be afraid to ask for help....or for a peer review of sample/problem code, once you've made a decent effort first at solving the problem yourself.

key topics.....

backups

security

code performance

accuracy/reliability of code

version control

(routine) task automation

and especially when doing multiple jobs....remember to use different userids/passwords for each role...to force you into the habit of not using the most powerful userid for every task....'cause it's a poor habit that will bite you in the a** in the end!!!

Ideally the powerful userids are saved in a sealed envelope...in your bosses desk.

Enjoy the role!

• Ideally the powerful userids are saved in a sealed envelope...in your bosses desk.

Ummm, forgive me for disagreeing with that statement, but I've seen too many stuff stolen by other coworkers or janitorial staff riffling through peoples' desk to agree.

Ideally, the powerful userIDs are saved in a locked, fireproof safe if you're going to leave them around written down on a piece of unencrypted paper.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Hi, Loner

don't worry, smile, be patient and flat. You aren't "Lone...r".

There is a lot of people that begin working so hard by himself.

The bad thing is that you have to find out your way alone, but the better thing is that all the success you made are only yours and for you.

Head up, smile on your mouth and go on ... step by step without fear.

Roberto

• Short work week, lots of autonomy, an understanding manager, working for a company that helps others. Doesn't get much better than that. Unless, of course, they give you a raise!

• Congrats on the job, Loner! It will seem like an overwhelming task at first, but once you get a feel for the databases that you support and administer, you may start to feel better about the work. If you ever have questions, there are plenty of people here who are always willing to help when they can. So you're definitely not alone - you can always ask us questions.

I was the sole DBA once, and I know how overwhelming it can be. But SSC has always had a lot of great articles and a solid community for providing help when needed.

• CONGRATS.....

THX

jith

MCAD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply