I can not find SSIS to work with data

• Good morning, folks. Another rookie question. I am having problems understanding how to open and use SSIS. I have installed SQL2K5 Express a few times. The latest version is Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition with Advanced Services Service Pack 2. I am trying to create a simple package to import a flat file into SQL.

I opened up and tried to follow the SQL Server tutorial for the Integrated Services. When I open up the SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio and open a new project, I only have two choices: Business Intelligence Projects or Other Project Types. The tutorial says to open an Integrated Services Project in the Templates pane. One problem: I only have Report Server

Project Wizard or Report Server Project. I am missing the section for the Business Intelligence projects.

I have tried to reinstall selecting everything for the tools and receive a message, either: 1. I am trying to install a different version, or 2. It's already installed. Like I said, I have ripped it out three times and reinstalled.

Where can I get the correct version of SSIS so I can work with the data?

Thanks for all your help.

Is SSIS available for SQL2K5 Express? If it is not, I've been chasing my tail for a couple of days!!

• I have been chasing my tail! SSIS is not available with SQL2K5 Express.

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/features/compare-features.mspx

• If you're just trying to import a simple flat text file, you might be able to use the command line BCP tool or a BULK INSERT statement with the DATAFILETYPE = 'char'. I've found they come in handy and can be easier to use than SSIS for small tasks.

• Charlie,

For a simple import, just right-click on the database (i.e.-'AdventureWorks'), select Tasks, Import Data...which will create a simple SSIS package if you so desire.

Unlike SQL2000 Enterprise Mgr, SSIS is a Visual Studio template in 2005...as most things are becoming :unsure:

Les

Dr. Les Cardwell, DCS-DSS
    Enterprise Data Architect
    Central Lincoln PUD

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply