I accumulated $60 on MSK serverless over a few days

• Just a rant really. I'm used to lambda, DynamoDB etc, but got access to sandbox account at work and wanted to learn Apache Kafka. Turns out serverless version is not scaling from $0 like most, but it's actually more expensive than a single small instance. I left it running over the weekend and lo and behold: 1500% increase in cost on the account. And I've only just got access and cap is $100 for all users. I feel so stupid.

Any similar flops with unexpected costs?

• hanjitren wrote:

Just a rant really. I'm used to lambda, DynamoDB etc, but got access to sandbox account at work and wanted to learn Apache Kafka. Turns out serverless version is not scaling from $0 like most, but it's actually more expensive than a single small instance. I left it running over the weekend and lo and behold: 1500% increase in cost on the account. And I've only just got access and cap is $100 for all users. I feel so stupid.

Any similar flops with unexpected costs?

I have seen the entire dev-infrastructure budget depleted over a weekend when someone forgot to pause it, roughly $1500- an hour.

😎

These days, understanding the cost of the infrastructure service model is almost as important as the system's design.

• Rant understood and much appreciated.  The cloud has many advantages but I still refer to it as "Smoke'n'Mirrors" for this very reason.  There's also a huge chance that scaling out won't actually help anything because "crap code" frequently runs single threaded or the multi-threading will actually take longer to run because of the split/gather part of the code.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• smells like the usual lambda spam of "i got this" with a link

• frederico_fonseca wrote:

smells like the usual lambda spam of "i got this" with a link

Most probably but I couldn't resist the temptation to rant about the cloud a bit myself. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply