Hunting and Gathering

• I, for one, still think the internet is a well paved onramp to a dirt road and it always will be because anyone can post about anything at anytime with little or no knowledge and little, if any, repercussion for their posts. There are some sources that I gravitate towards because I've tested their published knowledge and they've been mostly correct.

Still, not everything on those cherished fountains of knowledge are accurate and some are still dangerous. Anyone remember 2k sp3??? :hehe:

The bottom line is that any who seek knowledge on the internet must do just as all hunter/gatherers must do... even when on a familiar and well trodden path, one must watch for bears and wolves, avoid traps set by others, and try not to step off a new cliff in a tight squeeze or break an ankle in a new pothole.

The only remedy is to test for both the positive and negative paths. When you're done testing, test again, sleep on it, and then test one more time.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• It's a good analogy. The web gives us a lot of easy access to a lot of information, but one look at Snopes.com or MuseumOfHoaxes.com should convince anyone that care needs to be taken before "eating" that information.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• HAL: I would recommend that we put the unit back in operation and let it fail. It should then be a simple matter to track down the cause.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply