How's this for a Job Description

• This post tells me that the company in question is desperate for someone who understands backup & recovery and gives very few details on any other job responsibilities that the DBA may have. If I'm reading this correctly, the DBA may not have an other official responsibilities (except "all other duties as assigned").

I've never heard of a Backup / Recovery DBA. Have you?

Top 3 Technical Skills:

1. Sound Knowledge on Backups/Restore Process.

2. High Availability – Log Shipping and Mirroring.

3. Familiarity with 3rd Party Tools like Data Domain, LiteSpeed, NetBackup

Job Description:

•3-5 years experience as a MS SQL Server DBA in an enterprise environment providing production support.

•Experience with SQL 2005 and SQL 2008.

•Experience in Performing SQL Native Backups, Backups using LiteSpeed.

•Experience in Performing Tape Backup/Restore.

•Must be able to communicate clearly and concisely on Backups Process with Client & Application Team.

•Co-Ordinate with DBAs, TPMs and various teams to make sure the Backup Policy meets the retention policy required for the Application.

•Co-Ordinate with DBAs to make sure the Current backup policy meets the RTO & RPO set by the Application.

•Must have excellent organizational skills and must be detail oriented.

•Must be able to communicate clearly and concisely and be comfortable with client management.

•Must have ability to work under pressure to meet tight delivery timelines.

•Must be quick to adapt to a complex culture with various processes and procedures.

Ability to work well within a team located across geographic locations.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie, had you posed this question 2 weeks ago I would have said "no, never heard of it".

Maybe the company's primary responsibility is disaster recovery. In that case, they need someone who is comfortable providing DR services with a specific bent towards SQL Server. A systems administrator could easily be comfortable with all manner of backup with no practical knowledge of how that applies to SQL Server.

• Grant Fritchey (10/24/2012)

Seriously, how many people on the planet have DTS experience with databases greater than 100tb? I mean, how many DBAs have experience at greater than 100tb, period, full stop? They better be paying really, really, high six figures.

Talking near 7 figures for this list of requirements.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• calvo (10/24/2012)

1. SQL Server (troubleshooting, debugging, tuning and optimization of SQL queries and stored procedures) 2. Database administration (Replication, design experience with RDBMS. 3.DR: doing quality assurance of the database components released to production.

1. Will need to formulate a conseptual design for this team.

Assist development staff with the debugging, tuning, and optimization of SQL queries and stored

2. Design and implementation of database replication strategies for both internal and DR requirements procedures. Determine, implement, and manage database backup and recovery strategies, with focus on PIT recovery

2. Ongoing database performance tuning and upgrades, including: monitoring and evaluation of all database patches and service packs. Assist setting up clustered SQL Server Environment

3. Quality assurance of the database components released to production. Ticket deployments.

QUALIFICATIONS:

2. 7 or more years of database administration/design experience with RDBMS.

3. 4-6 years experience with MS SQL Server 7.0, MS SQL Server 2000, MS SQL Server 2005, MS SQL Server 2008/R2.

6.What conceptual design have you done.

I even put it in MS Word to makes sure I Wasn't crazy. It's conceptual!

And one requirement of an employer is that they know how to count.

I started nitpicking the grammar, spelling and numbering in use and immediately determined that this would not be a good candidate employer. Then again, at near 7 figures, I could possibly be persuaded.:-D

Learn Extended Events

• Haha, completely unrealistic job expectations are kinda commonplace around where I am currently. For example, this one turned up in my job search results today...

JOB DUTIES:

Support mission critical JIT (Just in Sequence) Manufacturing Execution Systems (SQL Server based).

Support multiple SQL databases using clustered and mirrored environments. Setup/maintain and troubleshoot high availability systems.

Ensure LAN/WAN capabilities are maximized through effective network administration, high levels of systems security and a timely, reliable, accurate systems recovery program.

Develop, test and maintain system recovery procedures and disaster recovery plans.

Develop, test and maintain documented systems procedures/work instructions.

Support Communication devices including cell phones, phone system, and 2 way radios.

Maintain and support front office systems including: Trans4M, Ideas, AutoEx, Lotus Notes, etc.

Participate in internal audits (SOX,TS,ISO).

Performs such other reasonable duties as may be assigned from time to time.

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:

Minimum of 5 years experience in Information Systems with a strong manufacturing background, preferably in the Tier 1 OEM automotive parts industry.

Strong background in Microsoft Systems Administration (AD, DHCP, DNS, Server, Group Policy Management, etc.)

Background in VMWare cluster environments and maintenance (ESXi).

Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, MIS, CIS or related study or equivalent experience.

Strong background in High Availability (servers, networks, clusters and virtualization) environments.

Work experience as a database administrator under 5 years a plus

Results oriented, well organized, strong communication and interpersonal skills,

multi-tasking, and attentive to details.

Ability to communicate effectively and work both independently and well with others.

Strong knowledge of Disaster Recovery procedures and back up systems.

ISO, TS and SOX experience strongly recommended.

Should possess an in-depth knowledge of the majority and a working knowledge of the remainder of the following technical areas:

HARDWARE:

Supporting and troubleshooting Desktop Personal Computers and Laptops, Pentium 4 class and up.

Support VLAN environments and other network equipment: HP switches and routers.

Hand-held devices; bar code scanners, RF tag-readers, card readers.

PLC Programming a plus- but not required.

SOFTWARE

VMware vSphere 4/Virtual Center 4 Administration.

NetApp SAN Administration - NFS, CIFS, FCP Documentation.

Microsoft Windows Server 2008 (AD, DNS, DHCP) Administration.

Strong background in Network Applications and Administration.

Strong background in all MS Office applications.

Strong knowledge and background in SQL Server 2005/2008 high-uptime database environments.

Working knowledge of other SQL Services: SSIS, SSRS, SSAS.

Programming SQL stored procedures, functions and triggers

Experience with Visual Studio a plus

Intermediate programming (C#, VB, ASP.NET, java, etc) a plus

Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems. Examples: TRANS4M (Agilisys) PRO (QAD), Fourth Shift (AremisSoft)

Firewalls, Routers and Anti-Virus Protection.

PLC Communications: RSLinx, RSView, GE Cimplicity a plus

TELECOMMUNICATION & OTHER:

Internet Protocol based.

Bar coding, Radio Frequency (RF) tracking. Examples: Intermec, Teklogix, Symbol

Electronic Data Interchange (EDI). Examples: ANSI X.12, UN/EDIFACT

HEALTH AND SAFETY

Ensure all safety and non-safety plant rules and regulations are followed.

Ensure adherence to established quality and housekeeping standards.

Respond immediately to items brought to his/her attention with respect to hazards, defects or non-compliance issues.

Taking appropriate corrective action when substandard performance is observed.

Review and adhere to companies health and safety, environmental, and quality standards, operating procedures, policies and forms.

In addition to the above, the duties include those specified under health & safety legislation

So, let's see... The ideal candidate is a SQL Server DBA/Developer combo, network/SAN admin, IT helpdesk support person, needs to have automotive experience, needs to know several different ERP suites, various other things that I'm not even certain about but will research because now I'm interested, and, to top it off, needs a little bit of manufacturing plant manager added in. All for a salary no higher than $55,000 yearly. Unfortunately, out here, database-related jobs are few and far between, and when they do crop up, it's usually something like this 🙁

- 😀

• They want ALL that and only want to pay $55k? I'd tell 'em where to shove that. That's crazy.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• No kidding. I saw the SQL-related bits and figured the salary was acceptable enough, then I caught the rest of it... Ack. Amusingly, there's another corporation nearby that has much more lenient requirements, and they're offering $80,000 minimum yearly for 5 years' experience. I guess some places are either pinched tightly right now, or dreaming very unrealistically.

- 😀

• hisakimatama (1/8/2013)

No kidding. I saw the SQL-related bits and figured the salary was acceptable enough, then I caught the rest of it... Ack. Amusingly, there's another corporation nearby that has much more lenient requirements, and they're offering $80,000 minimum yearly for 5 years' experience. I guess some places are either pinched tightly right now, or dreaming very unrealistically.

Either they had the perfect person who left, or they're shooting for the moon. I'll bet the job responsibilities are quite negotiable but the salary isn't. They'll end up with someone with a LOT less qualifications.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey (1/8/2013)

hisakimatama (1/8/2013)

No kidding. I saw the SQL-related bits and figured the salary was acceptable enough, then I caught the rest of it... Ack. Amusingly, there's another corporation nearby that has much more lenient requirements, and they're offering $80,000 minimum yearly for 5 years' experience. I guess some places are either pinched tightly right now, or dreaming very unrealistically.

Either they had the perfect person who left, or they're shooting for the moon. I'll bet the job responsibilities are quite negotiable but the salary isn't. They'll end up with someone with a LOT less qualifications.

Nah. The boss' cousin has all the necessary stuff on his resume already, and is willing to work for the quoted rate, but to avoid nepotism charges they have to post the job where people can laugh at it. It'll be something like that.

Or they really, really need to actually implement their drug-testing policy, starting with HR.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (1/8/2013)

Grant Fritchey (1/8/2013)

hisakimatama (1/8/2013)

Nah. The boss' cousin has all the necessary stuff on his resume already, and is willing to work for the quoted rate, but to avoid nepotism charges they have to post the job where people can laugh at it. It'll be something like that.

Or they really, really need to actually implement their drug-testing policy, starting with HR.

Agreed, that seriously reads like a "Job for Bob".

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• hisakimatama's latest post is beyond frightening. This is like saying "I need you to be a DBA but also drive a tractor trailer". There has to be more going on here. For my own personal sanity, there must be.

• Grant Fritchey (1/8/2013)

hisakimatama (1/8/2013)

ding ding ding +100

Learn Extended Events

• Scott D. Jacobson (1/8/2013)

hisakimatama's latest post is beyond frightening. This is like saying "I need you to be a DBA but also drive a tractor trailer". There has to be more going on here. For my own personal sanity, there must be.

Sadly... that's a skill combination I actually have... 😉

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Evil Kraig F (1/8/2013)

Scott D. Jacobson (1/8/2013)

hisakimatama's latest post is beyond frightening. This is like saying "I need you to be a DBA but also drive a tractor trailer". There has to be more going on here. For my own personal sanity, there must be.

Sadly... that's a skill combination I actually have... 😉

That is also a skill combination of Steve Jones;-)

Learn Extended Events

• 55k sounds commiserate for what a PBX guy would get paid. But not for everything else he'd be doing on top of that.

Unless (and this is a possibility) that every single skill on that description is something that was used once in a blue moon and they just don't have enough work to actually separate out the jobs to justify multiple people.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply