How's this for a Job Description

• I've seen job specifications that detailed. Sometimes a company has the perfect person already working for them in a different position and they want to move them up...but company rules require them to advertise the job as open and do interviews. So they put details like that in so nobody will match the position and then they promote the person from within. Happens a whole lot in government positions.

My wife was a government employee and she applied for a job where she met every requirement but one (can't remember what it was). The 'missing' requirement was so off the wall that she thought it was a joke...turns out a friend of the department head had all the requirements...so it let them hire that person. Basically, the position requirements were written so only that person would meet them.

-SQLBill

• I forgot to mention the job description I recently saw for a full-time DBA that said the applicant would have to provide their own laptop.

If this trend continues, employees will be required to pay "rent" for the cubicle space they occupy while on the job.

• Lee Crain (10/26/2012)

I forgot to mention the job description I recently saw for a full-time DBA that said the applicant would have to provide their own laptop.

If this trend continues, employees will be required to pay "rent" for the cubicle space they occupy while on the job.

Supply their own equipment? I mean, phones I get. But laptops?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (10/26/2012)

This is quite common for contract staff

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle (10/26/2012)

Brandie Tarvin (10/26/2012)

This is quite common for contract staff

Not where I work it isn't. We have desk, cubicles, and PCs supplied to them.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Here's an excerpt from a job posting I'm looking at:

BS/MS in Information Systems or related field

3+ years of Database Management.

Expert in MS SQL Server 2005 and 2008, with knowledge of 2012

Excellent technical knowledge of virtual server systems, telecom networks, IP communications, SANs, and high-availability architectures

Server Virtualization using VMware products

Client and Cisco UCS Server hardware

Hitachi VSP and EMC Symmetrix SAN systems

Routing, switching, and security using Cisco products

H.323 and SIP communications

Experience setting up data centers, call centers, and operations centers is required.

Strong understanding of human resource management principles, practices, and procedures.

Proven ability to make complex technical and vendor tradeoffs producing top business value.

Let's see, they want one person to be:

> an experienced SQL Server DBA

> a VMWare administrator

> a CISCO server, switch, and router administrator

> an Hitachi SAN administrator

> an EMC SAN administrator

> someone to set up complete data, call, and operations centers

> someone with HR management experience

> someone to make technical and business decisions based upon ROI

> someone with telecom knowledge and experience with H.323 and SIP

Did I leave anything out?

It's a contract job paying a maximum of $45 per hour.

• Lee Crain (10/26/2012)

Here's an excerpt from a job posting I'm looking at:

Did I leave anything out?

Yes. You apparently didn't read the "fry eggs on the server surface" requirement that's buried in there.

Look closely. It's between the VM ware and the HR requirements.

• *groans*

Out of sheer morbid curiousity, I decided to shred this.

Standard Admin:

1. SQL Server (troubleshooting, debugging, tuning and optimization of SQL queries and stored procedures)

(repeated later) Assist development staff with the debugging, tuning, and optimization of SQL queries and stored

2. Database administration (Replication, design experience with RDBMS.

2. Ongoing database performance tuning and upgrades, including: monitoring and evaluation of all database patches and service packs. Assist setting up clustered SQL Server Environment

5. Provide operational support to the reporting database servers.

6. QA the server and do daily, monthly health check of the server (horribly phrased, fits here)

7. Setup and manage the maintenance and backup plans,

8. Setup jobs, give permissions, perform monitoring and tuning

14. Implement and enhance database security using proven methodologies.

15. Understand and maintain database replication health for all reporting environments.

(broken out of different line) Assist setting up mirroring and log shipping

HADR design admin:

3.DR: doing quality assurance of the database components released to production.

1. Will need to formulate a conseptual design for this team.

2. Design and implementation of database replication strategies for both internal and DR requirements procedures. Determine, implement, and manage database backup and recovery strategies, with focus on PIT recovery

16. Manage DR environment for the reporting servers.

QA/Rollout work:

3. Quality assurance of the database components released to production. Ticket deployments.

Architect work:

4. Enforce DBA standards to all the stored procedure deployed to production.

11. Database modeling and design functions. Create and maintain database ERD diagrams.

SSIS

10. Deploy and support DTS and SSIS packages.

9. Design and manage database import / export processes used to populate test databases and global data marts.

Architect/TeamLead

12. Research problems and recommend corrective actions. Assit management with resource capacity planning

13. Assist OLAP and Data Warehouse environment when assigned.

19. Mentor DBAs of a small team and provide guidance to all the production issues facing the team.

Oddball requirements:

4. Experience with additional RDBMS. (Why?)

17. Prefer background in Microsoft networking. (So, on top of EVERYTHING else, you want me in the network, too?)

VLDB Requirements:

6. Proven experience with SQL Server in VLDB environment.

8. Experience with MS SQL Server DTS with up to 100 terabytes enviroment.

9. Experience with MS SQL Server backup and recovery techniques in a VLDB environment.

Assist management with database and. (This is not a strong recommendation... they can't complete a sentence...)

Working with all Development, QA, BA teams that support these applications (WHAT Applications?)

This line alone would scare me away from the entire process though:

Making sure their group is maintaining the integrity of the production servers in order to maintain optimal performance is their mission critical task. This position was created for a backfill. This backfill will put them at the right amount of head count in order to run their operations effectively.

My personal rephrasing:

Get in there and cleanup your goldbrickers. We've got plenty of headcount according to our paper expectations, it's your job to get the whip and carrot out and get the damned work done from them even if our expectations are bald-faced lies.

The term '10-foot pole' comes to mind here.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Thank you, Craig. I was wondering what you'd make of this one.

• Lee Crain (10/26/2012)

I forgot to mention the job description I recently saw for a full-time DBA that said the applicant would have to provide their own laptop.

I've got no problem with that, so long as they let me work via VPN from home and don't require my physical presence for anything. Don't need a cubicle, usually don't need to be in the building. Not like I'm sitting in front of the server, using a keyboard, mouse and monitor attached to it.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I'm not actually looking for a job, BTW. I'm just posting interesting descriptions.

Here's one that looks reasonable and typical production DBA. At least according to my POV. Would the rest of you agree?

Top 3 Technical Skills:

1. Sound Knowledge on Backups/Restore Process.

2. High Availability – Log Shipping and Mirroring.

3. Familiarity with 3rd Party Tools like Data Domain, LiteSpeed, NetBackup

Good communication skills are very important.

Job Description:

•3-5 years experience as a MS SQL Server DBA in an enterprise environment providing production support.

•Experience with SQL 2005 and SQL 2008.

•Experience in Performing SQL Native Backups, Backups using LiteSpeed.

•Experience in Performing Tape Backup/Restore.

•Must be able to communicate clearly and concisely on Backups Process with Client & Application Team.

•Co-Ordinate with DBAs, TPMs and various teams to make sure the Backup Policy meets the retention policy required for the Application.

•Co-Ordinate with DBAs to make sure the Current backup policy meets the RTO & RPO set by the Application.

•Must have excellent organizational skills and must be detail oriented.

•Must be able to communicate clearly and concisely and be comfortable with client management.

•Must have ability to work under pressure to meet tight delivery timelines.

•Must be quick to adapt to a complex culture with various processes and procedures.

Ability to work well within a team located across geographic locations.

• Everything looks pretty good except for one thing that red flags that job description:

"Must have ability to work under pressure to meet tight delivery timelines."

It reminds me of other job descriptions that say things like "must be able to work in a dynamic, fast paced, high-pressure" environment.

It's been my experience that the companies that post these type of job descriptions are "sweat shops" that ruthlessly demand too much from their employees or management doesn't know how to plan and every day is a scramble. When I've interviewed with them, I've walked away with those opinions confirmed. Their work environments are primarily reactive instead of proactive and they are predisposed not to listen to, or appreciate alternative ideas about to manage their processes.

One of the "already-always" paradigms about I.T., whether it be software engineering or operations, is that work cannot proceed in an orderly, progressive manner that consistently meets deadlines and budgets with people regularly working 40 hour weeks. Instead, the old-school vision still persists in many corporate cultures: that every day work must be a mad race to deliver and/or keep things under control involving lots of overtime to hold things together. Interestingly, my experience with Agile development processes has confirmed the resurgence of this old-school paradigm under a new name.

Ridiculous. I and many other professionals have proven otherwise.

• Lee Crain (10/29/2012)

Everything looks pretty good except for one thing that red flags that job description:

"Must have ability to work under pressure to meet tight delivery timelines."

It's been my experience that the companies that post these type of job descriptions are "sweat shops" that ruthlessly demand too much from their employees or management doesn't know how to plan and every day is a scramble.

Well, my first question would be "What are you defining as tight delivery timelines?"

I work in an environment that has on-and-off tight deadlines. Sometimes we have them, sometimes we don't. Depending on the job, I can do a tight deadline. But, as you said, sweat shop IT departments are a different story all together.

• Had a phone call from an Agency a while back when I was looking for some contract work. They started off down their shopping list of requirements and I could honestly say yes to all of them. They then came to VLDB work, I said "Yes" "What does VLDB mean?" came the reply "No one else I've spoken to knows". I made my excuses and ended the call.

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

• I had a similar experience when someone who listed Integration Services and SSIS on the same job requirements. So I put "SSIS (SQL Server Integration Services)" to get the recruiters attention. It worked. The person in question called me back and during the conversation said "I had no idea what SSIS meant."

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply