How to use Tally Table to allocate quantity?

• I have read many great helpful articles on Tally Tables by Jeff Moden, Lynn Pettis, and many others; however I haven't seen one on how to allocate quantities using Tally Tables.

Here is how I would do it using Loop (RBAR) logic.  Please give insight into how to turn it into set logic or point me to the article I missed.

1. Loop through each item with qty on hand
    2. Loop through each item location with qty on hand
    3. Loop through po receipts in descending receipt date for each item
    4. Allocate the specific po#, receipt date and cost and qty to specific item locations until the entire item location qty has a po receipt qty and cost allocated.
    5. If po receipt has additional qty unallocated, assign to next item location.  If item location still has unallocated qty, get the next po receipt.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

• Nor have I been able to find a tally table solution to fixing my car's engine trouble. They're useful, but not universally so.

Can you post some sample DDL, INSERT statements and desired results based on the sample data provided?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Bruce Dow wrote:

I have read many great helpful articles on Tally Tables by Jeff Moden, Lynn Pettis, and many others; however I haven't seen one on how to allocate quantities using Tally Tables. Here is how I would do it using Loop (RBAR) logic.  Please give insight into how to turn it into set logic or point me to the article I missed.

1. Loop through each item with qty on hand
    2. Loop through each item location with qty on hand
    3. Loop through po receipts in descending receipt date for each item
    4. Allocate the specific po#, receipt date and cost and qty to specific item locations until the entire item location qty has a po receipt qty and cost allocated.
    5. If po receipt has additional qty unallocated, assign to next item location.  If item location still has unallocated qty, get the next po receipt.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

That's because a tally table is probably not the best approach to use for this.  From your brief description, it sounds like the FIFO Queues approach I outlined will work better.  As already suggested, please post sample data and expected results.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• I'm pretty sure that a Tally table solution for this wouldn't be the preferred solution.  There is a set based solution.  See the winning entry at the bottom of the article in the following link.  The rest of the article is pretty good at explaining thing.

https://www.red-gate.com/simple-talk/sql/performance/set-based-speed-phreakery-the-fifo-stock-inventory-sql-problem/

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply