How to set the records count of table in one variable using sql query

• Dear all,

See the below query, i want to get the results of this query into one variable. u can find it in "select statement". Plz help me out to get the count into one variable. If there is another way then plz suggest.

Declare @cnt int

Declare @sid varchar(20), @qry varchar(1000)

Declare @dtTo varchar(30), @dtFrom varchar(30)

set @sid = '31'

set @dtTo = '2009-09-01'

set @dtTo = '2009-09-30'

Select @qry = 'Select @cnt = Count(Distinct dbo.CustomerMaster.CustId) FROM dbo.CustomerMaster Where

(Cast(floor(Cast(dbo.CustomerMaster.Transdate as float)) as datetime) >= ''' + @dtFrom + ''' and

Cast(floor(Cast(dbo.CustomerMaster.Transdate as float)) as datetime) <= ''' + @dtTo + ''')'

Exec(@qry)

Thanks in advance...

• From the posted query it looks like the dynamic query may not be required. However if it is unavoidable to use a dynamic sql query, you can:

1. Declare a table variable:

Declare @tblVar TABLE (

ResultingCount int

)

2. Insert the results of the dynamic sql into table variable using

Insert Into @tblVar Exec (@qry)

3. Query the table variable

Select @cnt = ResultingCount From @tblVar

• Hi Girish,

First-of-all thanks for reply..

Actually i use SQL Server 2000. so i can not use Table variable.

any ways, i use temporary table using yr solution. 🙂

Again thank u....

• krish-529631 (10/5/2009)

Hi Girish,

First-of-all thanks for reply..

Actually i use SQL Server 2000. so i can not use Table variable.

any ways, i use temporary table using yr solution. 🙂

Again thank u....

SQL 2000 supports table variables just fine.

Seth Phelabaum

Consistency is only a virtue if you're not a screwup. 😉

Links: How to Post Sample Data[/url] :: Running Totals[/url] :: Tally Table[/url] :: Cross Tabs/Pivots[/url] :: String Concatenation[/url]

• As Girish said, there's no need for a table variable, but you don't need a temp table either or any dynamic SQL at all.

Declare @sid varchar(20), @qry varchar(1000)

set @sid = '31'

set @dtFrom = '2009-09-01'

set @dtTo = '2009-09-30'

Select @cnt = Count(Distinct dbo.CustomerMaster.CustId) FROM dbo.CustomerMaster Where

dbo.CustomerMaster.Transdate >= @dtFrom and

dbo.CustomerMaster.Transdate < DATEADD ( dd, 1, @dtTo ) -- Or maybe DateAdd ( mm, 1, @dtFrom ) if you are looking for monthly reports

SELECT @cnt -- To be returned by your statement/storedproc

Note this is untested, since you didn't supply any DDL or test data, and I am therefore assuming your TransDate column is typed as datetime, but I hope you get the idea. And of course assuming you meant to set @dtFrom to 1 September 2009 instead of assigning it to @dtTo. Also note that I changed the "<=" @dtTo to "< DATEADD ( dd, 1, @dtTo )" coz datetimes without the time portion are subject to the 3ms resolution of the datetime data type's resolution, which means that you may end up with 1 October at midnight and two milliseconds before that being counted twice once you run the same kind of query for October. May not be a big deal... Oh, by the way, where is the @sid variable being used?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Hello Jan Van der Eecken,

Thanks for reply...

Actually already tried your suggested query when i begin with one new module. Actually the flow is like that - the end user select 2 dates : DateFrom and DateTo as u also find it in my SQL Query.

so my query should be like this

Select @cnt = Count(Distinct dbo.CustomerMaster.CustId) FROM dbo.CustomerMaster Where

dbo.CustomerMaster.Transdate <= @dtTo

SELECT @cnt

Instead of below you suggest.

dbo.CustomerMaster.Transdate <= DateAdd ( mm, 1, @dtFrom )

SELECT @cnt

I mean, it does not mean that your suggested query is wrong, but according to my requirement i can't use that.

OK...Now the problem is when i run the below query i get the 2988 Records

Declare @cnt varchar(20), @qry varchar(1000)

set @dtFrom = '2009-09-01'

set @dtTo = '2009-09-30'

dbo.CustomerMaster.Transdate <= @dtTo

SELECT @cnt

And after that when i run the below query by Casting my table column, I get the 3113 Records.

Select Count(Distinct dbo.CustomerMaster.CustId) FROM dbo.CustomerMaster Where

Cast(floor(Cast(dbo.CustomerMaster.Transdate as float)) as datetime) >= '2009-09-01' and

Cast(floor(Cast(dbo.CustomerMaster.Transdate as float)) as datetime) <= '2009-09-30'

As u told me in your reply that datetimes without the time portion are subject to the 3ms resolution of the datetime data type's resolution..

and may be that is why i get this Count difference..:w00t:

And bcs of this I write my sql query like this -

Select @qry = "Select ........"

Exec(@qry)

If there is another way to overcome this problem then plz suggest...

Thanks again for suggesting...and yes also thanks to share your knowledge with me...

Oh Yes, Actually @sid variable is a part of another table which is Inner join with my Customermaster table but then i remove that table from query but forgot to remove this variable...:-)

• krish-529631 (10/6/2009)

Instead of below you suggest.

dbo.CustomerMaster.Transdate <= DateAdd ( mm, 1, @dtFrom )

SELECT @cnt

You did not read the suggestion carefully enough.

It should be:

Select @cnt = Count(Distinct dbo.CustomerMaster.CustId)

FROM dbo.CustomerMaster

Where

dbo.CustomerMaster.Transdate < DateAdd ( mm, 1, @dtFrom )

SELECT @cnt

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply