How to separate date/time in SQL query

• Hello, 
    I am fairly new to SQL and trying to write a simple query. The problem is the date/time field that I need to figure out how to separate:
    So I have:
    Select distinct player_id
    from ticket
    where create_date is between '2018-06-01' and '2018-06-26';

The problem is that create_date is configured as yyyy-mm-dd hh:m:ss format. 
    How do i separate the date?

Thank you

• Do you mean it's stored as plain text in that format and not a datetime?

• it is stored as a datetime. I just need a date for that I could limit my queries to specific months. (I have attached a screenshot)

• Then what's wrong with the original format you used for the query?

• velonia - Tuesday, June 26, 2018 12:55 PM

Hello, 
    I am fairly new to SQL and trying to write a simple query. The problem is the date/time field that I need to figure out how to separate:
    So I have:
    Select distinct player_id
    from ticket
    where create_date is between '2018-06-01' and '2018-06-26';

The problem is that create_date is configured as yyyy-mm-dd hh:m:ss format. 
    How do i separate the date?

Thank you

Your query will exclude all entries on the day of 2018-06-26 as it automatically uses a time of 00:00:00.000.
    This query will include the last day.
    SELECT DISTINCT player_id
    FROM ticket
    WHERE create_date >= '2018-06-01'
    AND create_date < '2018-06-27';

• The last post addressed my issue. Thank you for your help!

• velonia - Tuesday, June 26, 2018 1:33 PM

It is giving me an error message. #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'between '2018-06-01' and '2018-06-26' LIMIT 0, 30' at line 3.

I need to separate date from time I guess. Thank you for your responses.

OK, part of the problem with any answers you get here is, this is a site for Microsoft SQL Server, not MYSQL.  Someone *might* be able to answer your question here, it depends on if anyone has sufficient knowledge of MySQL.  (For the record, I can't answer your question, I don't know enough about MySQL query syntax.)

• velonia - Tuesday, June 26, 2018 1:33 PM

It is giving me an error message. #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'between '2018-06-01' and '2018-06-26' LIMIT 0, 30' at line 3.

I need to separate date from time I guess. Thank you for your responses.

If using BETWEEN take out the IS.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply