How to Select Headers dynamically from another table

• Hi,

From the following script, I am able to choose one column rows from #TableB to columns Headers to #TableA. But I would like to dynamically choose which column rows needs to be select from #TableB

CREATE TABLE #TableA (Type int, Col1 int, Col2 int, Col3 int, Col4 int, Col5 int);

CREATE TABLE #TableB (ColId varchar(50), EnglishColumnName varchar(50),SpanishColumnName nvarchar(50));

INSERT INTO #TableA VALUES

(101, 1, 2, 3, 2, 5),

(102, 4, 2, 3, 2, 0),

(103, 2, 1, 0, 0, 5),

(103, 7, 2, 0, 0, 5),

(105, 8, 3, 0, 0, 0);

INSERT INTO #TableB VALUES

('Col1', 'Math','Matemáticas'),

('Col2', 'English','inglés'),

('Col3', 'French','Francés'),

('Col4', 'Fine Arts','Bellas Artes'),

('Col5', 'Biology','Biología');

SELECT * FROM #TableA

SELECT * FROM #TableB

DECLARE @Sql nvarchar(MAX);

/* Build SELECT */

SET @Sql = 'SELECT ';

SELECT @Sql = @Sql + ColId + ' AS ''' + EnglishColumnName + ''', ' FROM #TableB;  ---- I want to pass EnglishcolumnName here as Variable, instead of Hardcoding here. is it possible.

SELECT @sql

/* Remove trailing comma */

SET @Sql = (SELECT LEFT(@Sql, LEN(@Sql)-1));

/* Add FROM */

SET @Sql = @Sql + ' FROM #TableA';

/* Output query */

SELECT @Sql;

/* Execute query */

EXEC sp_executesql @Sql;

I would like to choose whether do I need to see #TableA Columns either EnglishColumnName or SpanishColumnName from Table#B.

I really appreciate for your time.

Thanks

• Duplicate post:

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/dynamically-choose-columns-names

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Most people read more than one of the topics (or, like I do, look at which topics are new), so posting a question multiple times just leads to different answers in different places, duplicating effort and causing confusion. Thanks!

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Hi,

My apologies for duplicate post, Initially I have posted this thread in 2019, then I have realized it might be in-appropriate to post in 2019 forum when I am working in 2016. Hence I have posted in 2016.

• It's not a problem in any way. Just trying to be helpful. You'll get a better, more consistent response this way.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply