How to monitor what starts SQL Services?

• Hi,

I am just revisiting this topic of a couple months away from it. I have an issue with a couple 2008 R2 boxes that are displaying some peculiar behavior.

The problem is this: We have all SQL services on these boxes set to a 'Manual' start. When the boxes are rebooted(either planned or unplanned) some of the services restart themselves somehow. The main service I am concerned about, obviously, is the SQL Server service itself and causing corruption, etc.

I have scoured the InterTubes looking for possible solutions, but I cannot seem to figure it out. Is there anyway to monitor what exactly is starting the services up by themselves?

I have tried checking for service dependencies, check the System log for certain Codes that might possibly indicate who/what is starting things, and asked around to see if our System Monitoring software might be restarting stuff if it detects they are stopped, but all to no avail.

At this point, I am about ready to give up, but figured I would try to pick the collective consciousnesses before I laid it to rest.

Thanks in advance,

• Are the SQL Servers Standalones or clusters?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply