How to Monitor for High CPU utilization in SQL Server

• Geoff - that is awesome!! Very nice presentation - and it covers all the prime touch points near and dear to the DBA at a glance. My curiosity is bristled - data cached in a local database? for how long? User-settable thresholds on all counters? User-settable sample rates? Alerts when thresholds exceeded (SQL or UI)? All hooks through WMI? Can you track other stuff like auto-grows, errors, failed authentications?

To be honest, I have yet to dabble in PS, although it seems like all the rage for scripting these days.

Again - very nice job.

• BobSaint (11/19/2010)

Geoff - that is awesome!! Very nice presentation - and it covers all the prime touch points near and dear to the DBA at a glance. My curiosity is bristled - data cached in a local database? for how long? User-settable thresholds on all counters? User-settable sample rates? Alerts when thresholds exceeded (SQL or UI)? All hooks through WMI? Can you track other stuff like auto-grows, errors, failed authentications?

To be honest, I have yet to dabble in PS, although it seems like all the rage for scripting these days.

Again - very nice job.

its a small local DB.

its all configurable.

alerts are not a part of this project.

almost all is through WMI except for user connections.

alerting I handle differently, which is another article i still owe to Steve..... (part two of this article... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Monitoring/71390/

• I can't wait for an article on the dashboard. 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• editted - removed question

• Great article Geoff, very useful thanks for sharing!

Thanks,
    Kimberly Killian
    Sr. DBA / DB Engineer
    www.sitedataview.com
    Follow me on Twitter
    Follow me on Facebook

• I am confused about the part "SQLCMD that uses the raiserror command to send messages to the Windows Event Application Log". Is this a job step executed as Operating System (CmdExec) or is this something else?

Thanks!

• DBA_Oshvegas (1/26/2011)

I am confused about the part "SQLCMD that uses the raiserror command to send messages to the Windows Event Application Log". Is this a job step executed as Operating System (CmdExec) or is this something else?

Thanks!

its executed from within the VB Script. same way it would work from a DOS prompt.

you could open a cmd prompt where SQL had been installed and run SQLCMD.

• Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Sorry, not a VBScript guy and had a bit of a brain freeze this afternoon while stepping through your process.

Thanks!!

• Nice and very helpful article

• DECLARE @CPU_BUSY int,

@IDLE int,

@seconds int,

@secondsString varchar(50)

SELECT @CPU_BUSY = @@CPU_BUSY, @IDLE = @@IDLE

WAITFOR DELAY ''000:00:01''

set @seconds = 0

WHILE (SELECT (@@CPU_BUSY - @CPU_BUSY)/((@@IDLE - @IDLE + @@CPU_BUSY - @CPU_BUSY) *

1.00) *100 AS CPUBusyPct) > 80 AND @seconds < 55

BEGIN

set @seconds = @seconds + 1

SELECT @CPU_BUSY = @@CPU_BUSY, @IDLE = @@IDLE

WAITFOR DELAY ''000:00:01''

if @seconds % 10 = 0

BEGIN

-- DO Something like send an email

END

END

• Hey Vadim,

thanks for the script. however, it presents a bit of a problem when you have multiple instances on a server.

it also does not account for 'other' CPU hogs. i have had to deal with things like anti-virus engines eating up 90% of the CPU. now even though as a DBA, it might not be my job to worry about anti-virus software, i do need to be aware when the SQL server is struggling to process requests because of it.

thanks.

• Geoff,

I've been using it more as a generic CPU indicator. It let's me know when things are crossing the threshold and for how long. If you want to go beyond that you should probably get a more robust monitoring tool.

Vadim

• I think

i = 0

Do While i < 1

Should be

i = 0

Do While i < 10

• Nice article!

• Thanks for this article. I have doubt after the line "OK, I understand, let's move on." -- where need to use the below code? It is not in CPUpct.vbs.

Sub RaiseError (msg, sev)

Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

query = "raiserror(" + "'" + msg + "'" + "," + sev + "," + "1) with log"

progStr = "sqlcmd -E -q " + """" + query + """"

objShell.exec(progStr)

End Sub

Q2: Can I use this windows 2008 R2 ( I see this is written for 32 bit - it will work for 64 bit also)

Thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply