how to make a col in a table after checking its existence, in one stmt

• hi,

IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS WHERE TABLE_NAME ='abc'

AND COLUMN_NAME IN ('r1'))

BEGIN

EXEC ('ALTER TABLE abc ADD [r1] VARCHAR(2500) NULL')

END

in stmt first, i have checked its existence using "if not exist" then i used "alter table" command to make the col.

What i am searching is, if we have anything in alter table command which checks if columns does not exist, then it should create.

That is a concise way of creating a col.

yours sincerely

• No, there is no syntax to ALTER a table and ADD column only if it doesn't exist, and (presumably) ALTER the column if it does like, for example, CREATE OR ALTER for a stored procedure.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Using your code as a model, you can make it a bit shorter...

IF COL_LENGTH('dbo.abc', 'r1') IS NULL
    EXEC ('ALTER TABLE abc ADD [r1] VARCHAR(2500) NULL')
    ;

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• i think information schema is better because col_length is a function call and finally it would go to sys.objects or all_objects or information schema it self.

• rajemessage 14195 wrote:

i think information schema is better because col_length is a function call and finally it would go to sys.objects or all_objects or information schema it self.

This is what I get using SET STATISTICS TIME,IO ON to measure the COL_LENGTH() method...

SQL Server parse and compile time: 
    CPU time = 0 ms, elapsed time = 0 ms.

SQL Server Execution Times:

This is what I get using the INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS method...

SQL Server parse and compile time: 
    CPU time = 8 ms, elapsed time = 8 ms.
    Table 'syscolpars'. Scan count 1, logical reads 2, physical reads 0, read-ahead reads 0, lob logical reads 0, lob physical reads 0, lob read-ahead reads 0.
    Table 'sysschobjs'. Scan count 1, logical reads 4, physical reads 0, read-ahead reads 0, lob logical reads 0, lob physical reads 0, lob read-ahead reads 0.

SQL Server Execution Times:

So, I'm thinking you're wrong and have it perfectly backwards. 😀  But, it's your choice. 😉

Remember that the functions that are native to T-SQL are not the same as User Defined Functions.  Remember also that the things in the INFORMATION_SCHEMA schema are actually views.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• SPEED

• SPEED1

• I can barely read those images, so I'm not sure what it's trying to show anyone. Can you elaborate?

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• The time you're seeing in that image is the time it took to actually make the column change.  Try making the actual column change with the INFORMATION_SCHEMA method and see how much worse it is.

My measurements weren't including such a column change because the actual column change isn't what I was trying to measure.  I was only measuring your claim that an INFORMATION_SCHEMA lookup is better than the COLUMN_LENGTH()  function.

Also, you posted a huge amount of white-space in your graphics and that's why no one can read them.

For everyone else, here's what they look like...

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• informaton schema was taking 0 cpu and 0 time.

• rajemessage 14195 wrote:

informaton schema was taking 0 cpu and 0 time.

Uh, huh... It did in my example, as well.  You should also do more than one test to see why the COLUMN_LENGTH this took more than zer0 milli-seconds.  You should also pay attention to the reads I cited.  They're not free and should always be considered along with CPU time and duration.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply