How to list all the objects of another server

• Hi all.

Is it possible to list all the objects of another server by calling it in a separate server? In my case, I have 2 servers (say Server A and Server B). I want to get all objects of Server B by calling it in Server A. It should be like SELECT * FROM ServerB.sysobjects. Thanks!

MS SQL Version: 2000

• reggae_blur (11/9/2010)

Hi all.

Is it possible to list all the objects of another server by calling it in a separate server? In my case, I have 2 servers (say Server A and Server B). I want to get all objects of Server B by calling it in Server A. It should be like SELECT * FROM ServerB.sysobjects. Thanks!

MS SQL Version: 2000

Create a linked server use the fully qualified name.

Muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy
    https://www.sqlserverblogforum.com/

• Yes it is very much possible if you can create linked server.

• The first thing to do is to set up a linked server object on one server, pointing at the other. The next thing to do is loop through all the databases on the second server, and select from sysobjects on each one.

If you could provide a bit more detail on what you want to do and why, we could probably help you with a better solution.

John

• thanks for the immediate response! 🙂

actually we're not allowed to create a linked server. 🙁 but i can execute a query successfully in Server A. This query runs successfully when being ran in Server A: SELECT * FROM ServerB.dbo.Table1

• Hi

If you are not allowed to have link server then why do you want to query in serverB

You have to create link server between Server A and ServerB inorder to query

Try with Syntax for Linked server

sp_addlinkedserver [ @server= ] 'server' [ , [ @srvproduct= ] 'product_name' ]

[ , [ @provider= ] 'provider_name' ]

[ , [ @datasrc= ] 'data_source' ]

[ , [ @location= ] 'location' ]

[ , [ @provstr= ] 'provider_string' ]

[ , [ @catalog= ] 'catalog' ]

On scuessful you can use

SELECT * FROM ServerB.sysobjects

Thanks

Parthi

Thanks
    Parthi

• Hi parthi,

Upon checking, we already have a linked server for Server B, that's why I can query successfully from Server B. My apologies.

So, my question now is, how can I get all the databases of Server B by executing it in Server A? Thanks!

Hi parthi,

Upon checking, we already have a linked server for Server B, that's why I can query successfully from Server B. My apologies.

So, my question now is, how can I get all the databases of Server B by executing it in Server A? Thanks!

Try to write a script ?

Use some logic(use a loop & openquery...)

There is number of ways to get this.

You can't, unless you create a linked server object on Server A.

Another thing you might consider is using an Integration Services package.

John

• Parthi,

Running the query below in Server A gives me an "Invalid Object Name" error...:-)

• I already have a linked server. I just don't know how the list of Server B's databases. 🙂

Executing sp_databases in Server A returns only the databases of Server A.

Parthi,

Running the query below in Server A gives me an "Invalid Object Name" error...:-)

Try this

SELECT * FROM [ServerB].Tempdb.dbo.sysobjects

Thanks

Parthi

Thanks
    Parthi

Parthi,

Did you read my prrvious replay

FQN-- select * from [LSname].[dbname].[schema].[object]

• thanks muthukkumaran..

i tried this SELECT * FROM ServerB.master.dbo.sysdatabases

it worked! 🙂

thanks muthukkumaran..

i tried this SELECT * FROM ServerB.master.dbo.sysdatabases

it worked! 🙂

Ur Welcome

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply