How to increase server memory limit >2GB?

• Hi,

Is there any way of increasing memory available for SQL Server 2005? The

maximum I can set from SSMS is 2GB. My server has 8GB memory so I would like to set the memory limit to

3GB (or even more).

--

Eric.

• What is you Operating system Edition?

Is your system is 32 Bit or 64 Bit?

• Yeah...If it's 32 bit you will have to enable AWE option.

In 64 bit it's not necessary.

• My server is window server 2003 and 32 bit.

• San-847017 (10/26/2009)

Yeah...If it's 32 bit you will have to enable AWE option.

I enabled AWE option but still couldn't increase server memory.

• I hope you have Window server 2003 Enterprise Edition

/PAE enabled in boot.ini?

Have you Enabled the Lock Pages in Memory Option (Windows)?

Please check the below URL for more details about Enabling AWE and Setting Min-Max Memory

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190673.aspx

• Eric1208 (10/27/2009)

San-847017 (10/26/2009)

Yeah...If it's 32 bit you will have to enable AWE option.

I enabled AWE option but still couldn't increase server memory.

When you say you cant set it more than 2gb. can you literally not set a value higher than 2gb and your getting an error message or are you reading the default value (its something stupidly high) as 2gb and think you cant make it more?

• On a 32-bit server Task Manager does not know about memory above the 4GB line.

If you enable AWE you will have to look in the SQL Errorlog file for a message at startup time that says if AWE memory has been allocated. If you want to see some of the impact of using AWE ther aer performance counters that can tell you this.

It is worth searching some of the many threads on this subject for further advice.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply