How to Increase Query Speed by 3 Orders of Magnitude with no Indexes

• I've altered the title. I can see how it upset some people expecting it to contain some SQL magic.

This happens all the time. Anyone that says this doesn't happen in 2010, or that it's obvious you communicate with the business, or agile solves this, is full of crap. Good people with good communication skills and willing to try and work with others solve these issues. Too often in all phases of business, not just technology, we don't have those people.

I debated about how to phrase it and run it, and in the end like what Stephen had done. It's a well written reminder that there's more to our jobs than code.

• Ditto!

• This is a mistake sorry

• gary.strange-1058508 (7/14/2010)

I can't believe this even made it into sqlservercentral. If this dribble is the quality of articles to come I think I will look for a better provider.

If you can't interact with the whole business entity then you are in the wrong vocation and you should think about a change of career.

I think that replies should avoid attacking the author of an article. That is not productive at all. The author took the initiative to share an experience. If you believe the author to be in error, reply with respect and include the logic behind your opinion. If you don't feel this way about it, please refrain from replying.

• It implies there is some meaningful, presumably technical information within.

I think you got the point while missing the point. Not all solutions to technical problems are technical. Stepping back and asking "What do we really need?" is an important and oft overlooked strategy to solving a problem.

--

JimFive

• An excellent article with emphasis on how to involve users in the design process. About 40 years ago I was working with a main frame system person as a representative of the business users of the company. He asked me what I wanted and how would I like it to look (in those days, users did not touch consoles).

He was the first computer person that ever asked me what I wanted. I never forgot him and as a developer for the last 33 years, I ask the same question of my users. I also want to learn how they work so that my system does not force them to alter their work flow.

The programming is just a tool to give the users what they want. Thanks for reminding us.

• Stephen Hirsch (7/14/2010)

...je ne regrette rien...:-P

Ah bon. Vous parlez francais aussi?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• What if there are some updates to the historical data?

• Dear Stephen,

How does this improve the query speed when the previous 3 hour sql and current 15 seconds sql actually querying diffrent tables and views?

Wondering why your team waited till UAT to find this very visible issue :hehe:.

--------------------------------

• This is a forum, inviting users to express their opinion.

I would consider using cut & paste to repeat your comment along the thread contributes nothing of substance.

Perhaps my comments about the article was a little harsh, but I like many others were tricked into reading this article which meant that other articles submitted by other authors were robbed of some exposure to the readers (reducing their AIR).

In my experience developers have plenty of opportunity to interact with the whole business but they choose not to. They're not interested in contributing and assume that just coding page after page of shocking code makes them a developer.

In my humble opinion the title should be "get your head out of the sand and interact with your business and you'll find you can achieve so much more!".

• That was cool attitude towards work,thats nice boss,I appreciate

• CirquedeSQLeil (7/14/2010)

Stephen Hirsch (7/14/2010)

...je ne regrette rien...:-P

Ah bon. Vous parlez francais aussi?

Ouais, j'en parles pas mal (j'l'ai appris au Québec)

• gary.strange-1058508 (7/15/2010)

In my experience developers have plenty of opportunity to interact with the whole business but they choose not to. They're not interested in contributing and assume that just coding page after page of shocking code makes them a developer.

In my humble opinion the title should be "get your head out of the sand and interact with your business and you'll find you can achieve so much more!".

This general subject is far from exhausted, and if you were to contribute an article with that title, I'd definitely read it. I'm not being being facetious, by the way; a lot of contributors to this thread have raised points that are well worth exploring further in an article.

Semper in excretia, suus solum profundum variat

• I think it was Mark Twain that said, to a man with a hammer, everything is a nail. While that's a funny saying, and all too true in the IT world, it's really not a good way to go. Sometimes the best use of a tool is to not use it.

For example, I've done a lot of work that used dynamic SQL. To properly use dynamic SQL, you almost have to have a well-maintained metadata repository. Well, the first thing I found out about metadata was that there was a limit to how much you could automate it. Too much automation made it brittle and easily broken.

• Jeswanth Jaishanker (7/14/2010)

Dear Stephen,

How does this improve the query speed when the previous 3 hour sql and current 15 seconds sql actually querying different tables and views?

Wondering why your team waited till UAT to find this very visible issue :hehe:.

In actuality, it was the perception that changed. My boss just moved the poorly performing query to what we call in the US "garbage time".

Why did we wait until UAT to find this problem? That's a very good question, one that I couldn't have answered at the time, let alone 12 years later.

Another point I want to make is that you can't assume in your development estimates that there won't be silly problems like this occurring at the worst possible time.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply