How to ignore columns when using union all

• Hi,

I have written one ssis package in that i am getting data from two tables one from oledb source1 and another from oledb source2.

In first one i am getting 10 columns and in second one i am getting 6 columns. I want to display these in one flat file by adding new column.

So i added one new column by using derived column.

When i using union all i am getting two different records with 16 columns.

But my intension is i want to get two different records with 10 columns will be in one row and 6 columns will be in another row. Here i mapped the columns and ignoring the columns in union all but there i am getting spaces. But i dont want spaces there and i want only the 10 columns in first row and 6 columns in second row.

Can any one help me to ignore columns as well as spaces when using union all control.

• The result of a union can be thought of as a single table with x rows and y columns with various datatypes - you can't mix and match within that table. The best you should be able to do is get the 'non-existent' columns populated with NULL.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Hi Phil,

Here i am not matching the columns just i want to ignore some columns and display only mapped columns without spaces.

Thanks,

Jags

• [font="Comic Sans MS"]

As Phil has already mentioned - you can not just mix and match the columns here.

From my understanding - you just want those 2 datasets to be literally merged into a flatfile. What you can do is - wtite those 2 datasets into different flatfiles and then execute a script task or execute process task (use : copy a.txt+b.txt c.txt) to merge them ..

[/font]

[font="Comic Sans MS"]--
    Sabya[/font]

• Just add a Carriage Return/Line Feed at the end of column 10.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Hi,

Is anyone knows how to copy two files content into one file using script or process task.

Please help me its urgent.

Thanks,

Jags

• Sabyasm told you already - what is wrong with that method?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Hi,

I want to add two text files into one text file using script Task.

I know how to copy source file into destination file, the code is

Ex:System.IO.File.Copy(Dts.Connections("Sourcefile").ConnectionString, Dts.Connections("Destination file").ConnectionString)

but i dont know how to add two sources file into one destination file

Can you give me the code for that please.

• when you are using union all there is no chance of getting the data from only the intended columns you wish to display. union all supports only if the TDs of all the tables are matching.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply