How to give Read only permission on sysmail_allitems table

• Hi There,
    Can you please let me know how do I provide select  permission on sysmail_allitems table under MSDB database to a non-sysadmin user? 
    I need to provide select permission on this table so that user can view "all" the emails and their status, if there is any mails which were not sent/ failed, he can take the appropriate actions.  
    BOL says it requires sysadmin permission which I do not wish to provide to the user. 
    Following is the link to BOL
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/system-catalog-views/sysmail-allitems-transact-sql

• If they just need SELECT just GRANT them that:

USE msdb;
    GO
    GRANT SELECT ON sysmail_allitems TO [UserName];

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thanks Thom, 
    However it didnt worked. That user is not able to see the records.

• What do you mean it "didn't work"? We'll need more information than that.What was the error? What were they trying to do?

What was the SQl you ran in total. A quick check with a test login and user works on my 2012, 2016, and 2017 CTP instances, so I would expect a step is missing.
    USE master;
    GO
    --Create test login
    CREATE LOGIN EmailChecker WITH PASSWORD='23908!%"%ts8h1tha238gna82';
    GO
    Use msdb;
    GO
    --Create User
    CREATE USER EmailChecker FOR LOGIN EmailChecker;
    GO
    --Grant access
    GRANT SELECT ON sysmail_allitems TO EmailChecker;
    GO
    --Check it works
    EXECUTE AS LOGIN = 'EmailChecker';
    GO
    SELECT SYSTEM_USER AS [Login], CURRENT_USER AS [User];
    SELECT top 100 *
    FROM sysmail_allitems;
    GO
    --Revert permissions
    REVERT;
    GO
    --Cleanup
    DROP USER EmailChecker;
    USE master
    DROP LOGIN EmailChecker;
    GO

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• I realize this thread is 2 years old, but I figured I'd finish the item and describe the work around instead of leaving the thread dangling since it shows up so high on Google searches.

The problem is the sysmail_allitems view requires someone to be in the fixed system role SYSADMIN to see all the records, otherwise they will only see the mail they tried to send:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/system-catalog-views/sysmail-allitems-transact-sql?view=sql-server-2017

a workaround is to use sysmail_mailitems instead, which you can easily grant SELECT permissions on if you just want an operator type person to be able to investigate the queued and sent mail history.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply